Frozen waterer!

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by BJ, Dec 18, 2013.

1. BJ

BJ Well-Known Member

I have a concrete "freezeproof" livestock waterer built into the dam of my pond. This is the first winter that I have had a problem with it freezing up.

Today in the 65 degree temp some of the ice did melt, however, not enough melted and there is a lot of ice preventing water from flowing into the waterer.

I need some tried and true suggestions how I can thaw the frozen water to free-up the float that is stuck in the bottom. The pond is too far from the barn, so electricity is of no use.

Tomorrow will be the last warm day for a long time....I have got to get the water flowing for my cattle. I need your suggestions, please!

2. haypoint

haypoint Well-Known Member Supporter

I have no idea what kind of waterer you have or exactly where it is frozen. Would salt poured into the waterer melt the ice or is it froze up somewhere else?

3. myheaven

myheaven Well-Known Member Supporter

Blow torch or heat gun.

4. kycrawler

kycrawler Well-Known Member

chop it out in chunks with an axe cold wet work

5. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

Station cans of hot water, or a couple of five gallon pails of hot water. Get a cup and pour slowly over the frozen parts. Repeat, repeat.

6. myheaven

myheaven Well-Known Member Supporter

Funny thing. I just seen my neighbor our wit a blow torch thawing his cement water trough.

7. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

BJ
    At the time of installation of the waterer did you install a vertical "ground tube" to conduct earth heat to the bottom of the concrete tank?

8. SteveO

SteveO Well-Known Member

Agman is right about the ground tube. But it seems to be to late for that this year. Take your tractor and push some manured hay all around it that should keep it warmer and the manure might produce some free heat also.
    Steve