Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had this about a decade ago. After a year of PT, shots and exercises, finally had a manipulation under anesthesia. It was a terrible year, but the manipulation worked finally.

Looks like it's back, same shoulder. Trying to avoid going the same path. Anyone have experience with reversing the 'freezing' action before it's gets to frozen? I'm already on NSAIDs, doing exercises, heat & cold but it's getting worse each day. I already take multi-vitamin, magnesium, zinc, D3, Vit C and B12.

Other ideas?

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@robin416 - thanks. I got several of those the first time around and they weren't helpful, but thanks for responding.
@wdcutrsdaughter - I have tumeric. I'll have to add that in. I'll research castor oil packs, never heard of it. Thanks for responding.

·
STILL not Alice
20,717 Posts
I'm so sorry for your pain. My sister had to have her shoulder manipulated under anesthesia, too. Pretty brutal.

Other than the suggestion to keep up on your PT, I have nothing to offer but my sincere prayers for your quick recovery. <3

Reactions: mzgarden

·
Registered
663 Posts
Mine was resolved through physical therapy. One thing she taught me was to keep owing the joints. Stretch your range of motion daily. After weeks of her stretching it, I was able restore motion and have kept it. It’s not a painless procedure though. I couldn’t take otc meds at the time.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you @Pony and @Robotron . My chiropractor has Covid and the massage therapist I've used in the past tested positive as well, so I'm on my own, along with prayers from friends 💜 Ah well, it could be a lot worse. I'll keep chugging along.

Reactions: Pony

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
I've had a frozen shoulder too. I didn't get injections; I did have some physio therapy, and a whole boatload of exercises to do each day. I'm starting to feel like mine is creeping back so I'm also back to the exercises, before it gets worse. I just wish I knew what started it in the first place, and why it seems to be coming back right now.

·
Premium Member
2,878 Posts
The steroid injection, done by a surgeon that knew exactly where to place it, was the ONLY thing that worked. Physical therapy did virtually nothing for me.

Another doctor did an injection but it was not properly placed. Get the referral for a shoulder surgeon.

Reactions: mzgarden

·
Premium Member
7,173 Posts
PT did it for me, finally. It hurt a LOT, but I finally got 98% use back...considering I had NO use of that arm, an excellent result! I was given a lot of different exercises to do and whenever I feel like I'm beginning to have problems, I start the exercises again. I went to a sports doc, so maybe that's why I got exercises that worked?

Mon

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
I have three different friends who have serious shoulder problems. All three finally had the shoulder replaced, and said that they should of not fooled around for years with drugs. They all said they should of just had it replaced sooner.

The human body is designed by nature to last for forty to forty five years. So some things like shoulders and hips are going to wear out. I worked on radio towers for twelve years, building, moving, and maintenance. Pulling a wrench with my right arm, my right shoulder is shot. I can throw it out just by lifting my arm over my head. The only way to fix this is to replace it. It's the next thing on my list. I want to finish my house before I have the operation.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I tore up my rite shoulder in 2015 it was killing me for 5 years .
I tried some CBD pills in the morning and that gave me my first good nites sleep in 5 years .
It allso helped my bad knee .
I have had friends try it an it did not work . But it helps me

·
Volvo With a Gun Rack
2,567 Posts
I am going through my 4th bout of it in the past 15 years. All in my right shoulder.

I think everyone is different in the degree of severity and what is needed/works for getting out of it.

I am pig-headed and I stretch/push range of motion multiple times every day. Actually, pretty much every hour. Even while sitting at the computer I stop and make it hurt in between sentences!

I did curls with a 60 pound bar last night. It was pretty painful!

I put out feed last weekend. Manipulating 50 pound bags overhead was not fun.

But....I do believe this all results in a month or two of discomfort vs a year.

The first time I had it, I got a cortisone shot and it really helped. PT did, too.

Now I just do my own PT and live with it. I tell myself pain is weakness leaving my body.

I told you I was pig-headed!

Good luck with yours. Don't baby it....work it! That's my $0.02.

And for the record, between baseball and tennis...I think my right shoulder it telling me I overdid it in my youth!

·
Premium Member
7,173 Posts
Actually, I think several of us might be talking about different conditions.

It's been a few years, so I don't remember everything, but I do NOT remember it building up over years, but just a few weeks in fact. I had NO use of the arm, but the hand was fine...as long as I lifted the arm (with my OTHER arm) to where I wanted my hand to do something. Couldn't sleep on my back, OR that side, too painful. And it wasn't that it was painful to use the arm...there was NO feeling in the arm, no muscle use...it was dead meat....until PT started, and then it was PLENTY painful. In fact, I do VERY well remember the PT shoving her hands THROUGH my arm SEVERAL times.

I was unable to lift a 3oz can of tuna when we started (actually, wasn't able to hold and move it) and was fully functioning in a couple months. Physical therapists walk on water as far as I'm concerned.

Mon

1 - 15 of 15 Posts