Frozen shingles

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by WanderingOak, Dec 30, 2004.

1. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

I know winter is the wrong time of year to be roofing, but I need to take care of this now before we get any snow accumulation. I'm in the process of laying asphalt shingles on the roof of an addition on the back of my house. After a cold snap that lasted several days, the packs of shingles that I bought froze solid. I lugged the packs inside to thaw as they were stuck together and had a tendancy to tear if I tried to get them apart. After they thawed I've noticed that the freezing may have damaged them anyway. There is a plastic strip on the back side of the shingle that has 'do not remove' printed all over it. Well, on the shingles that froze, this strip is coming off on it's own, as I remove them from the pack. I am not even sure what this strip is for- it covers a strip of tar on the back of the shingle. Can these shingles still be used, or are they now useless?

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

That strip of tar is to seal the top shingle down to the one under it. This is nessesary to prevent the wind from blowing up the tabs. The shingles are unlikely to get warm enough to seal down in winter weather. That's not good. Would it be possible to just put a layer of felt building paper on to shed the water from the addition until warm weather? If it were above freezing it might be possible to put a strip of tar under each shingle as you lay them.

3. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

I understand the reason for the tar. What I did not understand is the reason for covering the tar with a strip of plastic. The only thing I can think of is that it keeps the shingles from sticking together in hot weather.

It is supposed to be above freezing tomorow (50-60F), and I plan on finishing the roof then. I am nailing between the tab and the strip of tar, although I have seen other people nail the shingle north of the tar line as well. I could use the caulk tar as well, although it is pretty thick at the colder temperatures. I have to use it anyway for the flashing.

4. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

The strip of plastic is just for bundling. Keeps the tar from sticking to the shingle above it. It serves no purpose once installed so use them. Don't stack the shingles that have lost the plastic strip or they'll end up sticking together

5. dreadstalker

dreadstalker Well-Known Member

that strip of plastic is just to keep the shingles from sticking together in the bundle.i always try to peel them when i'm roofing

6. degaston

degaston Member

I just helped on a roof here in Florida on Saturday. The little plastic film strip had marked every six inches, "Do Not Remove."

So I guess you don't have to remove them.