Frozen Pipes Question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by amarillo, Dec 20, 2004.

1. amarillo

amarillo Well-Known Member

Last night it got down to -10 and my pipes froze in the house even though the temperature was 68 degrees.

I have since thawed them out and have gotten the hot and cold water to work in the bathroom, the cold water to work in the kitchen, but when I turn the hot water faucet on no water comes out.

The pipes under the sink are warm and there is a direct line to the hot water heater. Does anyone have any idea why or where the line might be clogged?

2. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Probably a piece of ice up next to the faucet.

big rockpile

3. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Your line is probably plugged (ie, frozen) wherever it is closest to an outside wall.

4. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

Same thing happened here yesterday. Then the pipe under the bathroom cabinet split and I had hot water spraying everywhere. I shut the pump off at the breaker and waited all day for a plumber 'cause they were busy dealing with this same issue all over the place. He finally came late yesterday, and said he'd be back sometime today. Thank goodness I have lots of water stored. I think someday I will have a house with all the pipes on the inside.

5. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

They build houses that don't? :)

Ah, living in Minnesota - where such temps are the norm, not the exception. :)

--->Paul