Frozen naxcel/ Mastitis Q

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Bernadette B, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Bernadette B

Bernadette B New Member

Last summer my Cow Maybelline got mastitis and I bought a bottle of naxcel for 75.00, I only used thirty cc. They told me I could freeze it and use it in the future. it is five months old. i used it last evening.

After I milked this morning, The yellowish-smooth oily-looking globules..( not much) were now paler looking, popped, almost popcorn ish and there was more of it.

Is that normal?

Thanks.

Bernadette

2. evermoor

evermoor Well-Known Member

Are you sure it is Naxcel?

Naxcel consists of a powder and sterile water adjunct, to use you mix them together. I have never had anything 'oily' looking in my bottle. Usually, however, there are small particles floating around and this is typical. Freezing is also common and should not affect its potency if it was frozen completely and thawed completely before use.

If what I've described sounds like your stuff you should be good to go. Just remember Naxcel is a three day treatment and it is usually used for respiratory diseases, so naxcel alone for mastitis will probably not be affective (although it is good to use with mastitis if the cow is running a fever).

Good Luck.

3. vaponydoc

vaponydoc Well-Known Member

Naxcel, once reconstituted, can be stored up to 12 hours at room temp., 7 days in fridge, or 8 weeks in freezer. Yours is likely too old and may not be worth using. It's a shame, it is pricey stuff!

4. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

I could be wrong, but I assumed Bernadette was describing the consistency of the mastitis, not the medication!

It sounds like the cow has a textbook case of mastitis. I'd suggest an intramammary infusion. There are a couple brands on the market. I like Pirsue, but Today also is good. Should be able to find them at your feed store. The medicine comes in a tube-like syringe, you uncap it and squirt it into the teat opening after milking. (Make sure the teat is thoroughly stripped out.) There is a milk restriction, it varies with the product. You may have to repeat the treatment a couple times.

Good luck and keep us posted as to how she's doing.