Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have pork frozen that I want to make into sausage. Obviously it has to be defrosted. After making sausage can it be refrozen?

·
agmantoo
10,852 Posts
I amass pork fat and lean trimmings to add to venison to make sausage and I refreeze the finished sausage. I see no adverse impact from doing this.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes, it can be refrozen. The meat is smoked and heated to 160 degrees F. Therefore it is thoroughly cooked and can be refrozen. Actually meat is frozen and thawed at least once and sometimes more before it is brought to a store or packaged for sale.

·
Registered
6,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not making smoked sausage, making fresh sausage in bulk and links.

·
www.HarperHillFarm.com
3,089 Posts
Absolutely! We freeze all of our ground pork in 1# packages. We thaw exactly the amount we need for sausage, mix it up and then refreeze. We make breakfast patties, fresh polish links, smoked polish links and italian patties. We usually make anywhere from 5-10# at a time of each.

·
agmantoo
10,852 Posts
Beeman
I made the similar type of sausage as yourself. Have you tried Legg's Old Plantation pork sausage seasoning? I use the #10 mix. Great stuff! I do add a little additional home grown sage.

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
I always bulk freeze all of my excess pork and venison, then thaw them out a little, after hunting season, and then grind, package, and refreeze.

·
Registered
6,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Beeman
I made the similar type of sausage as yourself. Have you tried Legg's Old Plantation pork sausage seasoning? I use the #10 mix. Great stuff! I do add a little additional home grown sage.
I've mixed my own in the past or used Winn Dixie's seasoning. I just bought casings and seasonings from LEM.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts