Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After making feta through the summer, I brought in 2 almost gallon jars from an outside fridge, only to find that the fridge froze the cheese - well, I think it was frozen, it went from its firm state in the brine to mushy and crumbly- I tasted it, and seemed fine. What to do? Leave it in the brine, or take it out, mush it, and freeze it? Any one experience this? the cheese was in the fridge about 2 to 3 months. (Fiasco farm recipe, said it should be good for a year) thanks!
Teri

·
Premium Member
10,703 Posts
What I have done is strain it, then refreeze it in bags. I had the same thing happen...I was sort of ignoring the old cheese fridge...oops. It froze up on me. I finally unplugged that fridge and saw an improvement in my electric bill, WOW!

So, I had 2 gallon jars jammed full of feta, frozen. I let them out at room temp til it thawed...took a couple days. Then I dumped the whole mass into some butter muslin and let it drain. Then I packaged it in about 4 oz servings in plastic bags and stacked them in the freezer. The feta was a bit...mushy...but tasted fine. I always like to use it on foccacia and pizza. After being frozen it was seriously lacking in 'body' but tasted fine on bread.

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts