Frozen Choke Cable

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Jennifer L., Dec 13, 2005.

1. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

I've got a frozen choke cable on my Bobcat skidsteer loader. Yesterday I got it into the house garage and it thawed and works again, but what can I put in it to keep it from freezing as soon as it goes outside again? I've got WD-40, or I could get spray grease, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't be pouring antifreeze into the cable instead, or would that be a mistake?

I just don't want to have this keep happening since the really cold weather has just gotten started.

Any ideas?

Jennifer

2. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

Don't use grease it will just freeze when it gets cold again. I have used Silicone spray for years and it works real good. shadowwalker

3. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

WD-40 is pretty good for keeping water from freezing cables

4. scott

scott Well-Known Member

i'd go with pb blaster .....

5. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

graphite>>>>speedometer cable lubricant

6. cfabe

cfabe Well-Known Member

WD stands for water displacement, so that should be a good product to drive the water out of the cable. Then lubricate with whatever you'd normally use for that cable. I wouldn't do anything with antifreeze

7. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

OK, thanks, everybody. Yeah, I thought the antifreeze sounded screwy, too, but wasn't sure what else would do something with the water. The problem is the choke handle sits on the flat horizontal and once you get snow in the cab and it melts, it gets into the cable and there you are. This happens every few years if the Bobcat sits out and gets snow on it, which it did this year. (Mostly I keep it inside because of the points, condenser, etc, being right underneath the vent of the rear door and water gets in on it if you leave it outside.) The choke is also crammed in by the seat and throttle lever, so it's a real knuckle buster when you try and work on it when it's frozen, too.

Thanks!!

Jennifer