Frostbite Rx?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by AnnaS, Jan 13, 2005.

1. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

Didn't wear my hat to shovel out the car this am (-9 & 20 mph wind) and got one- just one- frostbitten ear. Didn't even notice until I got to work and everyone said, "What's wrong with your ear???" The doc says aloe vera when the blisters start. Right now it's very swollen, maroon, and REALLY HURTS.

Anyone have home remedies or previous experience so I know what to expect?

I did get a new polarfleece hood today. Gonna wear it too, I guess I learned my lesson.

2. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I'de go with the doctors advice and keep it moist with aloe vera.
    Good thing that you have maroon red color. That seems to indicate blood flow. If it was white I'de be worried about the tissue damage. If it changes more, or has long and further soreness, or numb, then you probably should visit the doctor for follow up.

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Treat it like a burn. You will have similar tissue damage and pain. Some tylenol before bed might help you get some sleep.

4. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

Doc gave ya good advice. I've got some pretty good frostbite before and it hurt like sin when it was healing. One of those things a person does once and they will NEVER let it happen again. Had a friend that was with me when I got frostbite and he lost his toe. Turned black and he lost it. Really gross. Shriveled up and simply died. His blisters were way worse than mine too. He did say the dead toe was painless though.