Frost this Morning!!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Haggis, Aug 21, 2004.

1. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

Here it is August 21 and frost on the grass. So it begins..., oh well, by June winter will be over; maybe.

2. RenieB

RenieB Well-Known Member

We haven't had frost yet but the weather has been cool all summer and a lot of rain. Today is rain again. It does look like we will have an early Fall and of course that means an early winter and winters are long here anyway. I just hope the Fall holds off till the crops are all in. The strawberries, corn etc have not done well this yearh with all the room.

RenieB

3. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Brrr... Reminds me of my ten years in the U.P.

4. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Warm here this morning, but expecting frost and snow at any moment! Garden did not do too well in green house this year , was cool and gray most of short summer. Hope this means we will have a heavy snow winter for a change and then maybe a real summer next year!

5. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Haggis, It looks like you better get another load of hay. I didn't take into account that Tropical Minnie Soda has 10 months of winter. With one month of spring and one month of fall that only leaves one day of poor sledding for summer.

6. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

It was 25 degrees here at Sparta, Minnesota, and 20 in Embarass, about 20 miles away.

Yeah, 9 months of winter and 3 months of tough sledding. They tell me that if summer comes on a Sunday folks have a picnic.

7. citygonecountry

citygonecountry Active Member

While I have no clue what the weather is like down there.. but I had no clue that it could get down to 20 in August!! Here in Michigan this year our weather has been "funky" . Spring was REAL rainy and cool, had afew HOT days late spring early summer. Now here we are mid-August and we are lucky to see 70, if we hit 80 it is real strange. I really HATE this weather this year, way too much rain not enough hot days and way too much snow.

I have heard that we are supposed to have a very cold, wet winter this year. I sure hope not.

Sarah

8. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I agree!!!!!!!!!I live in michigan also, and it has been really cool. my tomatoes won't even ripen, haven't had one, not one. this is terrible. This is a bad year, I think I am going to have to go south about 30 miles, and buy some from the amish. 30 miles would oput me in IN. maybe they have had better luck, don't know. a real cold summer, my leaves are falling, have been for 2 weeks. I think it will be a long cold winter.