frost on tomatoes

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by suelandress, May 6, 2005.

1. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

We had a frost....maybe a freeze last night.....whent hey told us temps would be in the upper 30's lower 40's :rolleyes: ....anyway, several of my tomatoes in the greenhouse got frost bitten.....the tops are all crinkly and dead looking. Will they spring back from the roots? The stems look OK.
    BTW.....where the hell is SPRING?????

2. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Do they have a growing tip alive? Those are on the top of the plant, where the plant is growing from, and the "suckers" are also growing tips.

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

As long as they were only 'nipped' and not froze thru they should be ok. Chop off anything that turns black and hope for the best. I've had them freeze around the edges when overwintering in the house (in CO) and still keep producing.

4. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

The growing tip on top looks like it got frosted, but the leaves around the bottom of the plant look OK. Too dark now....I'll try chopping their heads off in the morning :D

5. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Frost damage can be halted when you awake and find that frost is on the plants, by spraying water onto tthe plants with a garden hose. Simply wash the frost off.

I read this tip years ago in "Organic Gardening" and found that it works readily. I have used it numerous times on tomatoes and potatoes and never found damage even after the plants had been covered heavily.

I expect that you might as well figure on finding some new plants. Plants damaged that severly will never fully recover.

Spring is coming about a month late here in south central Kansas.

6. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

That's a neat tip. I always figured the damage was already done.

7. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

I do want to make it clear that you must wash the frost off of the leaves, preferably before the sun comes up or soon thereafter. This tip will not help plants once they have damage, only prevent damage from occurring in the first place.