Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the potatoes be any good? This is my first time growing them and I had hoped that we wouldn't get a frost until mid-October as usual but this early frost surprised me. I had planted 50 slips in the spring so I'm bummed that they didn't get more growing time.

·
Premium Member
8,354 Posts
Heavy frost can damage them, but since the vines will die now, anyway, it's time to dig them before the roots die, too. ASAP--you get what you get. Hope they will be big.

geo

·
Retired farmer-rancher
3,022 Posts
If you can't dig them right now, at least cut the greens off. As the tops die, so will the roots.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Frost hit ours Sat before last. Some leaves were black some ok. I finally got around to them today. Some seemed darker on the top (nipped by frost or sunburned???). Don't know why, but otherwise they were ok...huge..but ok. Doing reading on this topic I found the general consensus to be to pick them ASAP as the vine will rot toward the potato. As you can see I left my in for a few weeks and all was well. Hopefully to get the rest tomorrow.:sing:

·
Registered
50 Posts
The potatoes will look fine, but they will not store. Eat what you can because they will rot shortly. Next year cut the tops off and then frost wont hurt them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts