front loading vs. regular washer??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ellebeaux, Sep 15, 2005.

1. ellebeaux

ellebeaux Well-Known Member

My washing machine is dying so I need to get a new one. Sigh. Doesn't help that I just got laid off last week.

I looked at washers on Sears and the bottom end front loading machine is only about $100 more than the old type. Both are Energy Star certified. Does anyone have any opinions on these? I just want something that works but if it could be energy and water efficient and not cost too much more, that would be even better. I don't want to spend more than $600. I was going to buy a woodstove but I guess this will have to come first,

Beaux

2. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    I got a new front loader when we bought this house and I would never go back to a top loader. Its just so much easier dealing with heavy wet wash out of the front loader. Besides, that little window keeps the dogs occupied for hours on end. :baby04:

3. thebugguy

thebugguy Not just another fungi

Folks-

Been meaning to figure this out, and this might be a good opportunity. Thebuggal and I are also thinking about buying a front loading washing machine, but somewhere I heard that you can't pre'soak your clothes in them. We've got 1 kid in cloth diapers now and are contemplating a second. Obvisously, we want to be able to soak the dipes.

Anyone with a front loader have any opinions?

4. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    Mines got a presoak cycle. Cant say Ive used it but the setting is there.

5. mamalisa

mamalisa Well-Known Member

You just have to drain the yukky water off the dipes, can't just toss the mess in the spin cycle. I've done dipes in mine, worked fine and I love it.

6. Judy in IN

Judy in IN Well-Known Member Supporter

I bought a gently used front load washer and dryer. I LOVE A DEAL! There's a presoak....up to 8 hours! With the front loader, you use less detergent. This is my first set, but this is IT from now on! The clothes seem to be dryer coming out of the spin cycle, and the dryer is FANTASTIC. I love those Maytag Neptunes! I got my set for under $400. (couldn't help bragging)

7. ellebeaux

Judy!

I'm TOTALLY Jealous! What a deal. I'll go buy our local Bucksaver and see if anyone advertises used ones. I thought they were too recent to be selling used already.

No complaints about them then?

Beaux

8. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

I prefer the front loaders over the top loaders, They seam to get clothes cleaner ,And dont tear my blankets and sleeping bags up ,Like top loaders do.Now I only go to the laundromat I don't own one.

9. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

I bought a combo washer/dryer- vented model. I have taken to soaking a few items in water before tossing them in. It is an Equator brand, I feel it cleans a little better with a little more water than the 9 1/2 gallons it uses for a fullsized wash. I did learn tho- check into serviceability of anything you purchase. Service is a problem in south central FL for an equator. I think your area may be better. Check the Equatorcorp Website.

I had to have a small footprint combo because of the available space, but if I had to do it all over would probably buy seperate Danby washers and dryers from Home depot. They have good service. The washer is the same size as the Equator washer / dryer combo, and the dryer could be stacked on top (if I didn't have cabinets in the way.)

There used to be a laundry room link on the Gardenweb site- there was one link to like a virtual house, with discussion boards for every room in the house! I do feel that for environmental reasons the FL washer is the way to go!

10. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck Well-Known Member Supporter

I use a Frigidaire front loader that Consumer Reports recommended a few years ago. It has been a great machine and uses much less water than a top loader, less detergent too. The unit I have has a smaller capacity than most top loaders I've seen/used, but it has been big enough to get the job done.

Good luck, and if you could find a used Neptune "deal" similar to the one Judy describes, that would be great deal.

11. 3sunz

3sunz Well-Known Member

OK. I will be the oddball here. I have to disagree with all of the rage over front load washers. My dad is a logger, so naturally, his clothes are very dirty. The front load washer (which is a Maytag Neptune) does not even compare to the cleanliness of a top load. There is not agitator in the front load like the top load. There isn't enough swishing back and forth to get the clothes clean. But, if you aren't washing dirty clothes, then I guess that wouldn't matter! lol :)

12. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

I also have the Frigidaire model. I agree that if you are washing super dirty clothes (not regular kid clothes, but logger) a top loader does a better job. The agitation that is not necessary with most laundry is a plus if you are washing well made extra dirty clothes. You could, however, soak the extra dirty clothes. Soak in a sink, or in the machine. I'd soak in the sink just because I don't want that stuff in my machine.

I found also, that a set of queen size sheets do not come out clean, I believe because enough water is not used to get the entire sheets wet. The machine decides how much water to use, not you. I wash only one sheet at a time along with a regular load and that takes care of the problem. I suppose you could also throw shoes in for added weight.

I line dry everything, and am amazed at how well the spin cycle works on my front loader. Even heavy towels are easy to manage and dry within a reasonable amount of time, even indoors. I've also found that a 1/4 cup of borax cleans towels just fine, and my line dried towels are soft.

13. MoCrafter

MoCrafter Well-Known Member

We bought a Fridgedaire frontloader in March. I love mine. It uses less water, less soap, and the clothes come out clean and so much dryer than the top loader. I wouldn't ever want to go back to a toploader.

Winona

14. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

Beaux -

Have you checked out "reconditioned" washers at your local "used" appliance store?? I got my washer and dryer at such a place six years ago and I'm still using them. Have done that before in other places at other times, and those worked out well, also. Oh, and check out the classified ads in your local paper for folks who might be wanting to ditch their perfectly good appliances because they are "the wrong color" or some such drivel. Good luck!

MaryNY

15. ellebeaux

Hey MaryNY,

I'll check that out - I don't know why I didn't think of that.

My mom bought her big black frig and glasstop stove used. The frig looks like the monolith out of 2001:Space Odyssey but other than that it's great!

Beaux

16. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

Count me in as a fan of the front loaders! We bought one a few months ago and I really like it. My DH is a lineman and his clothes get really dirty. I use the 'heavy' setting for the work clothes and they come out great! I've not had a problem with anything getting clean yet at all. Also uses much less water and much less detergent so I'm saving there.

Only thing I've found is that a few things have smelt sour if I don't get them out within a few hours (like doing a load in the morning and rotating them when I get home from work). But - I don't think it's the washer - I think it's the new detergent I've been using because I didn't have that problem before.

HTH!

Nance

17. nodak3

nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

Dollarstretcher has an article that will help you make that choice. There ARE issues regarding cleaning ability, that vary from front loader to front loader. Apparently some of them are not as good with really grimey clothes, and there can be some resettling of dirt on the clothes due to low water usage. I think they are probably great for office workers. My friends on the farm who bought one say never again--in fact, now they sometimes prewash in the wringer in the barn.

18. halfpint

halfpint Well-Known Member Supporter

We bought the Whirlpool front load washer in early July, mine does have a soak cycle, and I've been able to get the stains out from my sons playing ultimate frisbee in the mud with it, which often didn't come out when I had a top load washer.
    Also the drying time is significantly decreased whether line or machine drying, so there should be time or energy savings there. I haven't had any problem cleaning my king size sheets, and we've had them thrown up on as well as other issues on them that have come out.
    Personally I think our clothes are coming out cleaner with the front load washer.
    Dawn

19. ellebeaux

What's Dollarstretcher? I'd be interested in reading the article if it's available online,

Beaux

20. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

As a Brit I grew up with front loaders and was so disappointed in american top loading machines - I have never had one clean as well as a front loader. Last year I finally got a euro model (the Danby at Home Depot is a good machine at a very nice price) - my whites are white again, my colours are bright, t-shirts and jeans aren't wearing through all the time like they were in the top loaders (at first I assumed american clothes were really cheaply made, now I realise it was the washing machines).
    I would say a front loader with an internal water heater is absolutely the best way to go - that was my other gripe about the top loaders. I like to wash my clothes (especially whites, diapers when we had little ones and bed linens) in hot water.