front legs vs back legs in birth

Discussion in 'Goats' started by famer_manda, Jun 10, 2006.

1. famer_manda

famer_manda I Love CHICKENS!

How can you tell the difference if you are seeing/feeling the front legs or the back legs? Are they different feeling? Front legs are straighter right? I am getting horribly nervous because I have my "non pregnant" goat about ready to kick! She had me fooled until about 6 weeks ago. But its nearly time and I am very nervous.
    Time to study and get very prepared :)

2. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

They bend differently. When you get a chance, close your eyes and run your hands up and down your goats legs. Try bending them as well.
    Mostly though, they just bend differently.
    When feet are presenting you look for the direction they are pointing. I actually have some really good pictures of proper presentation (with the hooves pointing up) on our goat website.
    If the feet are upside down, the kid is most likely backwards.

3. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

You are right to be prepared! Out of 7 kids born here this spring, 5 have been breech! You can do it though!

4. Cara

Cara Well-Known Member

In one of the many goat books (can't remember which) it says that as long as the kid is shaped like a banana, it can come. So if the back feet are out, and the front feet and the head are forward, with assistance to help it come a bit quicker, it'll be fine. I've had quite a few that have come back feet first. Usually the second or third kid. As far as telling which feet are coming, the bending is a great way to tell, and so is the direction. If the bottom is up, it's MOST LIKELY the back feet, and if the bottom (of the hoof) is down, it's MOST LIKELY front.