From these pics what do you think on my calf?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by MaryF, Nov 11, 2005.

1. MaryF

MaryF Well-Known Member

Jeff, your input is very much appriciated. Since we are new to this all, its hard to know when to worry/when not to. Since from the pics, you didnt say anything like "wow, she is at deaths door", I am much better, thank you!
    Ill just sit back and watch her, keep her fed and watered, and let her body get back to normal. Mucho Gratias,
    Mary

2. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Well remember im not a vet, and if there is any question dont hesitate to have someone take a look see. What I looked at was her body condition and it looked good, if she was skinny, lots of bones. I would be concerned. But generally body condition can help, because if they aren't doing well, they will look terrible. I know with ours she looked fine for a day, then it started showing after a couple days, and she did loose some condition to her body due to the stress. But as you said, just observe her closely for the next several days, and as long as she is up walking around, and if she is fiesty (looks like a laid back jersey), then that is good.

I just dont want to be responsible if something did go wrong :), thats all.

Jeff

3. MaryF

MaryF Well-Known Member

Jeff, no no no...dont worry a bit, Im sorry...I dont think I was real clear on my post...What I was wondering on was the puffyness around the eyes...Im *thinking* it is due to dehydration.
    If you had (from seeing the pics I posted) said something like "I had a calf that had that puffyness around the eyes like yours does...she WAS terribly dehydrated"....then I would have thought "Ok-I need to pay extra, extra, EXTRA attention to her water intake here or get her to a vet for an I.V.".

BUT, I am watching her closely, she is eating and drinking, though still pretty depressed (yet, at the same time, she dives into her grain like she hasnt eaten in years)

Let me ask you (or anyone!) this...have you had a calf get puffyness around the eyes like these pics? Just trying to find an answer to this part of it I guess.

Just to update....
    Its been one week now, 5 days since being on the Nuflor (first shot Tuesday, second shot Thursday). Her lungs sound clearer today than when we listened on Tuesday. Her eyes are still so puffed (and eyeballs-around the white parts-blood red), Im wondering how she can see through mostly closed/swollen lids.

Thanks all,
    Mary

4. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

I'm thinking dehydration won't cause puffiness. She could be allergic to something or have pink eye, but the antibiotic should take care of that.

How is she today?

5. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Is the eye runny? If the eye isn't running, she probably doesn't have pink eye. Usually you have a eye that drains, atleast thats what I have seen with any of our animals that picked up pink eye. If it hasn't gotten any worse, and is the same since the pictures. As with the pneumonia (sounds like she is heading for dry land :)), keep an eye (no pun intended :p) on it. I have a holstein heifer, her conjuctiva (the pink part around the eye), sticks out some. It gives her lazy eyes like that heifer you pictured. They give the appearance of pink eye, however sassy (the holstein) has always had this, and is normal for her. My only thought if the Jersey didn't have those lazy eyes, could be something to due with the stress of the pneumonia. Our Jersey had a similar look (she had pneumonia as well), took about a week to get back to normal.

Jeff

6. Celtic Herritag

Celtic Herritag Celtic Heritage Farms

It doesn't look like pinkeye, no watering eyes, if she does the Nuflor will take care of it, if you want to know if she's dehydrated do a skin tent test or a crt(capilary refil time).