From Synthetic Oil in Deisel? Please help!

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by CindySue, Jan 25, 2005.

1. CindySue

CindySue Member

Hello from Alaska~ I am recently single, and as part of the divorce settlement got our Deisel 2001 FordF250 CC. It does have high mileage of 113000. My ex used synthetic oil (Amsoil), but it is so expensive. I need to have the oil changed soon, and I would like to use regular, less expensive oil. Is this ok? Any problems, or concerns with this? I truly apreciate the help here, I really don't know how to do anything with the truck except for adding fuel and driving!!! I guess its time I learned now, huh??? Thanks in advance for your help! Cindy

2. Bob_W_in_NM

Bob_W_in_NM Well-Known Member

113,000 miles on a diesel is barely broken in! It took years to convince me, but I am a believer in full synthetic oil. I know it costs more at oil change time, but the results are virtually no engine wear compared to petroleum based lubricants.
    I've got two high mileage vehicles 300 and 400 thousand mile range that I don't use synthetic oil in. By the time I became a "convert" they were too high mileage to derive much benefit. My newer daily driver gets Castrol full synthetic.
    Take care of that truck and put the Amsoil in it at oil change time!

3. opus

opus Well-Known Member

Cindy,

We use Delo 15W40 here, it is great stuff! You can use Shell Rotella but tests seem to say Delo is better...for whatever that is worth. I hope you can plug the truck in as well. Better yet, get rid of the diesel and buy a gas rig, unless you truly have a reason to drive a diesel.

Synthetic would be the best and I would also advise sticking with it, but if you must.......

4. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I'd stick with symthetic in a diesel truck engine. Treat it right and it will last a lot longer than you think. It should get 300-400,000 miles if maintained with good quality parts and lube. It should crank easier with synthetic oil in the cold too. Whats a new starter worth, $300??

5. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..............Cindy , synthetic oil is Better , especially in very cold climates , like Alaska . You can run regular "OIL" in your diesel but IF you do ,.....BE SURE to USE the SAME Viscosity as you were using in the Synthetic....i.e....Syn..0-30 should be replaced by ...0-30 in Regular oil . ALSO......You need to replace the FUEL FILTER every 10,000 miles AND the AIR FILTER every 10,000 miles or just replace Both at the same time . Also......the Transmission Fluid and Filter should be replaced , ATLEAST every 15,000 miles.....If it is an AUTOMATIC . ASK your EX to writeup a schedule for you to follow on the Proper replacement Intervals for each Filter . These are very important for a Diesel as it will last many , many miles if it receives regular scheduled maintenance ..,fordy.. :eek: :)

6. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

I would keep using the synthetic. Mobil 1 as well as the Castrol fully synthetic will work fine and should save you some money over Amsoil. I've seen cases where regular oil in a 6.9L diesel actually caused oil pressure to drop to almost 0 under certain circumstances. Synthetic didn't do that. Even with over 100k miles, the truck should be good for maybe 200k miles before the engine needs work. You've got a solid transportation vehicle. It will serve you well.

7. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Yes you can simply switch to regular type oil with no complications. You can also switch back to synthetic if you desire. As others have said the synthetics give excellent protection and also extended oil life, but for economic reasons can be expensive. That isn't high mileage on that vehicle and still has plenty of life left in it especially if it was maintained properly. I would use either Shell Rotella, Mobil Delvac, or Chevron Delo oil and a good quality filter and you won't have a problem.

8. JustinThyme

JustinThyme Active Member

dont forget synthetic lasts twice as long as regular oil

9. ex mek

ex mek Member

If you decide on a mineral based oil make sure its for a diesel , normal gas engine oil wont work , its got to be a high detergent oil preferably one for a turbo diesel , thats the best mineral oil going

10. ex mek

ex mek Member

asfor mineral oils i have trucks with over a million miles on them that never had anything but mineral oil in them

11. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

1. The synthetic oil can go longer between changes, so it is not really all that expensive.

2. In a cold climate, the synthetic remains fluid. Mineral oils thicken up, to the point your truck may not start. If it does start, the engine scratches itself waiting for that thick mineral oil to start flowing - harming the engine a tiny bit on every cold start. The synthetic offers much much much much better engine protection & easier starting in a really cold climate.

3. A diesel engine will last 500,000 miles if you treat it right, rebuild it & go some more. You do _not_ have high miles on that rig. Please treat it right. It is a _long_ term investment, cost a lot of money up front, the payoff is in treating it right & driving it a long long time. You do not have a typical 4 cylinder throw-away car that dies at 150,000 miles. Anything you do to shorten it's engine life really, really costs you.

For example, you have the $300 Kitchen Aid mixer there - treat it well & your favorite daughter will be making bread with it when you are gone. Buy a $19 hand mixer from the box store, and it probably doesn't have enough oomph to mix bread dough. If you wreck it, no big loss, buy another for $19.

Don't treat this vehicle like the throw-away $19 mixer. Treat it like the long-lasting, expensive tool that it is.

4. You certainly can switch back to a regular, cheaper, mineral oil. I am afraid it will cost you a lot tho considering your climate. You will be saving a few pennies, and spending a lot on rebuilding starters, engine wear, more frequent oil changes, and jump starts....

If you don't want this type of vehicle, sell it off now to someone who does while it is still worth a lot, don't devalue it with poor maintenence & turn it into the $19 junker..... ;)

--->Paul