From Indoor to Outdoor Cat

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by midwsthomestead, Apr 2, 2006.

1. midwsthomestead

midwsthomestead joy seeker

Hi Y'all :)

I realize this is going to sound clueless, but ~shrug~ it is what it is.

We have a cat living in the house that we've had since about 7 weeks of age--she's around 6 months old now. I've decided this cat must go to live outside as she seems to WANT to. She jumps on the table n counters n constantly 'hunts' for food in the house-and she's well fed mind you! She also breaks for the door to go outside alot lately. Litterbox is fine, food is fine, she's healthy and all. I swear since she was outside the first few weeks of her life and her mama cat is the owners 'best hunter ever', that this cat is just meant to live outside! My kids adore this cat (of course) and are beside themselves at the idea of turning her outside. We have a dog and I've no idea how they'll do or not do together lol. I have put the cat, litterbox and food in the garage for now and she seems to love it. The kids let her in and in just minutes she wants back out.
    Now HERE is my question/concern/whatever....do I just open the garage and see what happens?? Just toss her out there n come what may?? I'm thinking of opening the garage just a lit'l bit, giving her a familiar place to escape to/come in if she chooses as we've no other outbuildings/barns as of yet.
    Experiences, please--help!

~~

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Our cats go in and out as they please, we're off the road by quite a bit so there's little danger. We keep a litter box in the house too. All our cats are fixed too so it will remain one cat out one cat in, .....not one out and 6 inside some day!

3. midwsthomestead

I'm going to open the garage door enough for her to get out but not enough for the dog to get in today.

She is NOT fixed yet so I'm sure we'll have kittens at some point in the future, but that's okay with us out here at the moment. The kids would love it! We're off, off (lol) the road and have a great place for cats to roam.

~~

4. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Since she has been trained to the litter box, find a suitable potty spot, dig in the soil a bit, and put some litter over the spot. She will learn to potty in the soil. If you don't do this, she will learn to potty in the grass, probably close to your front door.

5. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

That's what we do. Our cats all started out as indoor kitties (in town it was necessary) and are all very happy to be outdoor/garage kitties now. The only one we have in the house is the new kitty (she's six months old now) and she wants to be an outdoor kitty. When she dashes out we leave her out for a little while because it doesn't take her long to want back in.

Oh, we have seven dogs and they will sometimes chase a cat playfully, but we've only had one incident of a dog catching a cat (and that was my husband's fault).

6. midwsthomestead

That husband o' mine opened the garage door just a bit today while he was outside and I went out to find the cat happily sunning her rotten self in front of the garage door lol. I watched her and the dog play n bat at each other but she sure enough had the upper hand--she didnt run n hide but made her stance known. They've batted around back n forth, seemingly mostly playful and exploratory more than anything. She's not the least bit shy or jumpy about exploring further and further from the garage and does not spook and run very easily thus far. Very coolie, I'm relieved lol.

~~