From Cole's mom, Dec 2

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Alice In TX/MO, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Hi...Wendy here.

First we want to be sure that everyone knows how incredibly special you are to us, and your prayers are evidenced by the calmness that is present in our room. God, Allah, Jesus, Great Spirit, Mother Earth, etc. are all here in our room watching over all of us because of friends and family like you all who provide the strength for us as parents.

To update on Cole:
    This weekend is a lazy weekend, and Cole has been doing a lot of sleeping. We also had friends out, and Cole’s spirits were raised so high I could feel the sun on my face. They played outside and played chase and ran in circles and jumped off rocks and played in the water fountain and raced cars and drew pictures. Today was a good day…make that a great day. Tomorrow will be the same, but Monday we will need you to be thinking of us regularly.

Monday morning Cole will have a biopsy of the mass, a hip aspiration and an additional nuclear scan. The mass has grown over the past few months to the size of a tennis ball and is dominating his adrenal gland on the right side, but we are designed with two so the second gland will be able to compensate once the adrenal gland on his right side is excised. Since the mass is so big, other organs are being displaced, and it has spread to affect his femurs and pelvis. Luckily, the cancer did not originate in his bone marrow, so he will not need a donor since they will harvest his own cells. He will have blood and platelet transfusions, and Nathan has been given strength by you all to be a direct donor since his blood type is a match.

This will also be a rough week ahead because he will start chemotherapy later this week. So keep us in your thoughts all day on Monday and look to hear more information on Tuesday. Again, thank you my friends, and we are truly surrounded by prayers and blessings. For those of you with children, give them a hug and tell them that you love them everyday.

2. sunnygrl

sunnygrl Well-Known Member

great big hugs to you and to the family...

*hint on the meds(chemo)... if your boy is as hard to take meds as mine were when we started here are a few tricks...

1. they will prob be giving you like 5 meds to be giving twice a day, to make it seem like a less amount have them give them to you in a tablet instead of a liquid, then crush the pills and put 3-4 ml of liquid in them, if you go the liquid rout you will prob have 5 syringes of between 5-7 ml a piece and that is alot for a little guy that doesn't want to take the meds.

2. when your giving the meds and you cant get him to swallow them , say to yourself "i'm not hurting him by pinching his nose to get him to swallow this"... he will eventually learn to take medicine where you don't have to fight him to do it..... he will just sit still and be ok with it after you get over that hump....

3. sometimes a little shot of pop with the meds, DOES make them go down... as our dr says" it doesn't matter how you get them to take it, it just matters that they do take it, do it anyway you have to" We never had given pop to our kids so this was a real treat, mixed a little bit with the med, and then he could drink the amount that would fit into the pill crusher, prob. 2-3 T. worth... that is the real life saver.

4. make copies of the calender of what drugs he takes, and give it to the people that he stays at.... chemo drug schedules are odd, you will take this one for a month then next time for only 5 days out of the month, or 1/2 of a pill on sundays and a whole the rest of the week.

5. Take a deep breath, after the first month, things get easier, a routine happens....

** oh, and the PIC lines (before the port is inserted)that are put in are not as scary as they might seem, cut off the end of a sock and use that to keep the lines tucked against his arm and avoid catching it on something.***

***again as i stated on the first thread his parents can PM me or you can PM me for my e-mail. support all around for everyone :baby04: ***

ps ... be prepared for the steroids to wreck havoc on your sweet little boy... he will become budda round, and have terrible fits of rage for no reason... but that was only the first time he had it, the other times were not so bad but that first month wow...

3. pamintexas

pamintexas Well-Known Member

(((Rose))), continuing with prayers for Cole and your family. For healing, strength, faith and peace.

4. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

My prayers have been sent. I pray also for the staff that helps to heal him.

5. huzzyjr

huzzyjr Well-Known Member

Prayer's and good thought's daily.

Carol

6. catcrazy

catcrazy Well-Known Member

Prayers and thoughts, Rose and family.

Cat

7. Spotted Crow

Spotted Crow Well-Known Member

Still more prayers. :angel:

8. kitty32_z8

kitty32_z8 Well-Known Member

prayers being lifted up.

9. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

10. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

Remembering your family in prayer.

11. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

Rose, Wendy and family I wish there were words that could ease and comfort you though this time of your lives. I was doing pretty good at holding back the tears until I saw Cole's pictures, opened up the flood gates, but I was also smiling at such a gift you have there :)

Wendy thanks for sharing with us, that was so kind of you to take the time to do that, it makes your baby so real to us...we will keep him hin our thoughts and prayers along with you and the rest of your family.

Hugs
    marlene

12. Tricky Grama

Tricky Grama Well-Known Member

Whole family is in our thoughts & prayers!

Patty

13. momlaffsalot

momlaffsalot Well-Known Member

You are all in my continued prayers.

14. Becca65

Becca65 Well-Known Member

aww what sweet pictures.. keeping the prayers coming your way!! hope all goes well on monday..

15. grannygardner

grannygardner Well-Known Member

What precious pictures. I've added that little darling to my prayer list.

16. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

Prayers for Cole and all of those who love him.

Rose, those pictures made me cry like a baby.

Nikki

17. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

Rose & Wendy --

Cancer has touched our family more often than I care to think about, but never one so young. Being a mum to two boys myself, I felt like crying from the moment Rose told us about Cole's illness, but those pcitures of that sweet baby got me, too, and tipped me over the edge. Hugs to Cole and his mummy.

We're praying for you here.

Tracy

18. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

We are praying for your little one daily. Stay strong, hugs to you all.

19. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

What beautiful eyes he has!!

I am praying for him, and will do so every day now. I am sure we will all be heard.

Take care.

katlupe

20. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Prayers and best wishes for you and your little guy.

BooBoo