Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I can rebatch bar soap, but how about making dishsoap? I only use Ivory on my dishes (for another post... :rolleyes: ) and I actually ran out today! I do, however, have dozens of Ivory bars. How can I use them to make dishsoap--or can I even do that?

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
DW has used Ivory bar soap to wash dishes for years. Just drop the bar in with the dishes and start washing. When finished set the bar aside till next time. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you think about it, liquid dish soap is a very recent invention! :)

From Proctor and Gamble's website...

In 1878, after years of experimentation with various formulations, James N. Gamble triumphantly reported he and his associates had developed the formula for a white soap that was satisfactory in every respect. Appropriately enough, the product would be called P&G White Soap. But Harley Procter insisted the new white soap deserved a more distinctive name — one that people would remember when they went to the store.

Finally, after weeks of consideration and rejection of a variety of names, Mr. Procter had a sudden flash of inspiration while attending Sunday church service. The search for a name ended when the minister read from Psalms 45:8, "All thy garments smell of myrrh and aloes and cassia, out of the ivory palaces whereby they have made thee glad." In October 1879, the first bar of Ivory was sold.

Send us more floating soap

The Ivory ability to float — perhaps its most famous feature — was the result of an accident! An employee failed to shut off the soap-making machine when he went to lunch. When he returned, he found the soap mixture puffed-up and frothy. After consulting with his supervisor, the decision was made to finish and ship the soap since the ingredients had not been changed in any way by the longer mixing time.

About a month later, P&G received orders for more of "the floating soap." The people in the Order Department were perplexed. Only after some detective work was the mystery solved. The long forgotten lunchtime accident had produced a floating soap!

Today, Ivory floats because we intentionally whip a small amount of air into Ivory as it's being made. This makes the soap lighter than water, so it floats. This process also makes each bar of Ivory velvety smooth and easy to lather.

99-44/100% pure — it floats

This famous slogan originated in the 1800s when samples of Ivory were sent to college chemistry professors and independent laboratories for analysis. Comparison tests were made with castile soaps—the standard of excellence at that time. One chemist's analysis was in table form with the ingredients listed by percentage. Harley Procter totaled the ingredients that did not fall into the category of pure soap — they equaled 56/100. He subtracted from 100, and wrote the slogan, "99-44/100% Pure Washables."

Ivory Liquid — (Introduced 1957) — Liquid Ivory for dishes is a light-duty detergent. It earns the Ivory name by offering mildness to hands. Ivory Liquid is "Tough on grease and easy on hands." In 1995, Ultra Ivory Dishwashing Liquid was introduced. Ultra Ivory is still "Tough on grease, easy on hands," while using 1/3 less product than with regular dishwashing detergents.

Liquid Ivory Snow — (Introduced 1989) — A liquid laundry detergent that offers Ivory mildness and all the cleaning performance of an adult detergent. Liquid Ivory offers the convenience of a liquid laundry detergent and helps baby's clothes retain their flame —k retardant benefits.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
edcopp said:
DW has used Ivory bar soap to wash dishes for years. Just drop the bar in with the dishes and start washing. When finished set the bar aside till next time. :)
Wonderful idea! Thanks for the tip...and OldNavyGoat--thank you very much for the history lesson on Ivory. I use it just because it's pure and simple--not a lot of stuff in it I can't pronounce :help:

Back to homestead dreamin' for me :rolleyes:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts