Friends.........

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by hunter63, Oct 5, 2017.

1. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

Not real sure where to put this......but a few thoughts occurred to me today...

In have been building a new gate for across my driveway.....Replacing one I built maybe 15 years ago.

It swings open and folds in two....so covers a 12 ft. driveway but is only 8' folded against the stockade fence.

Made for a dog eared fence section to match the stockade fence around the yard...(the neighbors fence...

Got it mostly done....just need to hang it up.......12 ft long ...2 sections 8 and about 4'
    Maybe pic's later.

I was as taking a break...DW comes out of the house....where she retreated after she got mad at me because she couldn't lift a panel.......dropped her end.....and I hollered at her....

I was being an a$$ whole....but she really needs to let me know if she can't do it....not much help of if it's to much to handle or too heavy......and some one gets hurt.

Then she asked...How did you hang it last time?

Thought about it a realized it was a group of friends that had helped me...then partied with beers and steaks.. after.

We were trying to think who can still do the lifting and general work of a project like this.....

The friends....are mostly all gone.....Passed away, divorced, move way for work or retired out of state.
    Those tat are still around can't do the lifting...surgeries, heart, bad back, knees, and all sorts of afflictions....or just don't want to be bothered.

And they don't want to miss their nap.....LOL

You realize how valuable those people are or were...family, co -workers, hunting partners...and just long time friends.

Over the years, I/we have done most anything any one has asked.....moved, built garages, decks, poured concrete, done roofing, basements...plumbing...work at fences...(my problem now) cutting trees splitting fire wood, tilling gardens...etc. etc.

I even went to Home Depot...no "day laborers"......LOL

Been helping out the neighbor guy with doors in his basement after the flood....with my tools...he doesn't have much......
    So hoping to have him help me...

So if you have friend(s)...treat them very well.....they go away fast.... as the years go by.....

To be continued....

2. ShannonR

ShannonR hillbilly farmgirl

3. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

Bought our deer hunting camp ( was to be the future retirement home) had 7 good friends who came every year. Lost one before he could do the second year from a stroke.
    Lost another who died from a heart attack alone in the woods at his home. so it went till the last one died of a stroke in 2005 while rideing his Harly.

I have 8 friends and their wives who I hunt coyotes with and fish and a few other things.

But I don't ask to much help from them as I never did the deer hiunting fellows. I have learned to work alone by useing gray mater and jacks, tractors, chains falls and bolck and tackle.

Now if I had a 8 foot gate to hang today I would use the front loader on the tractor with a C clamped gin pole on the to hold the gate up right then lift it with the tractor loader.
    Not hard on the back and no need to ask for help of those unable to any more.

I have used tractor jack for a bunch of stuff too.

I took a couple hours to make some 2"x8"x8' ramps when I was still recovering from knee surgery to slide a bought on sale heavy towlet out of my truck into the house to replace a broken one. Couldn't lift but can slide stuff.

Made a heavy duty furtuner mover to move my new add on wood furnace in the base ment I slid off the trailer.

I dearly love my friends but do not want to impose on them asking for help except in dire emegerncy . I also know every one of them would drop what ever they had going on to come help.

:D Al

4. GTX63

GTX63 Well-Known Member

The tractor is the mechanical version of my dog, a great companion only much stronger and versatile.

5. hunter63

The point.... was to illustrate the loss of friends and family......as well as getting older and not being able to do things I used to.
    The gate was just an example.

I agree......The tractor is a wonderful tool...use mine all the time....At "The Place"
    BUT
    It is 200 miles away....from the city house
    Looking at dollies now....have the jacks....just need to move it.

Also agree that doing for yourself is best and would never invite someone to come over, then spring a task at them.

Actually for many years, worked nights...had a group of work friends,..worked night as well.. that enjoyed building, helping and hanging out....
    Did many jobs and learned a lot of skills....and was generally fun.

There is building for fun,.... creating and putting an idea to work...
    Then there is build/ rebuilding because it's needed...Like the gate

Then there are the "disasters"....all hands on deck....flood, fire, tornado...You do what you need to do for whoever needs it.

I guess the good news is... the gate an I both have been around long enough to wear out...LOL

Update...just ordered two furniture dollies of $13 buck each...will be here on the 11 th
    From Walmart.
    When done I will use to move generators around......wheel kits for those are much more money.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  6. alleyyooper

Yup I worked the night shift much of my 33 years at the last compoany I worked for.
    My coyote hunting friend John also worked with me on that shift as well as his diabled cousin Mike who wasn't disabled back then.
    guess that is why we have became such fast friends.
    When Mike became disabled and in need of ramp to get in and out of his house there were the 8 of us and some family that built the ramp once the piers were dry in a couple hours. Money for that came out of sale of coyote hiudes mostly too.

We went in the house and ripped out all the doors and made them all wide enough his chair can get thru them all with plenty of room to spare. You can't just go out and buy a 42 inch door so we made most of them in Johns shop all hands had a hand in that too.

But not a one of us ask any one to help with things we can think done. Like needing one end of a gate lifted while I neded to lift the other end.. Hence the jin pole clamped to the tractor bucket and gate fastened to that jin pole let the tractor loader lift the gate on one end while I do the other.

I my self was never a bull of a man who could muscle thru jobs. I have always been forced to think things thru.
    One of my old college instructors forced you to think before doing a job.

Course was metal machining had to write out steps in a work book once you were given the assignment and have them approved before you could even think of cutting a chunk of bar stock.

kalmara, no really and MoBookworm1957 like this.
  7. Forcast

Forcast Well-Known Member

I rent boys from the high school

ShannonR, Jenn, ladytoysdream and 3 others like this.
  8. hunter63

LOL....Neighbor boys were working out in their garage for their wrestling team....
    Waliked over and ask if they could haul the old kitchen range out of the basement.

They couldn't get over there fast enough to prove how strong they were....
    'gave all three $20 bucks each.

ShannonR, Jenn, Forcast and 1 other person like this.
  9. alleyyooper

"I rent boys from the high school"

For some reason I found that so funny. Must be my preverted mind.

alida, kalmara, Jenn and 2 others like this.
  10. In The Woods

In The Woods Well-Known Member

I see the point of this thread. But....I've always done everything myself - never really had any friends. As others have said my tractor with loader and forks is a godsend for me for many reasons.

When I built my house on our property before we moved there and lived off grid, I built it myself - not any help whatsoever. This was before I had a tractor. A lot of thought went into a lot of stuff. The biggest challenge was the roof trusses and roof sheathing. Making the use of nearby tree limbs, pulleys, and rope I got it done.

licomi and hunter63 like this.
  11. hunter63

I know a lot of folks do for themselves.....and take pride in it.....
    We all walk our own path...or try to.....If that that what make you happy....Kudos.

I also know those the enjoy friends and family (myself included)...helping out and having help from time to time.
    It's when you are no longer able to do all the things you did in the past...and realize that many of those people that were important parts of our lives are no longer here.

collegeboundgal likes this.
  12. Forcast

Forcast Well-Known Member

Understand Al. What with all the teachers dating (i say that loosely) students.

13. hunter63

Up date on gate project....so you see what I talking about......here are some pic's of old and new in process....
    Waiting on dollies to move new gate....

Old gate:
    [​IMG]

Folds back on itself uses 2 wheel to hold the weight:
    [​IMG]

Folded back against the east fence out of the way...allows full width of drive way to be used....wide loads, trailers backing it etc.

[​IMG]

New sections....
    [​IMG]

Wheel installed....no bracing yet
    [​IMG]

In The Woods and Kyrel like this.
  14. CIW

CIW Well-Known Member

I live in an environment where one part a persons life is service based. Its considered a privilege to serve one another. When one is in need, they only need to let it be known as to when and where. There will be folks that you don't even know, there to help.
    Most folks know how close to get and how far to stay away.
    There is a man that gets in contact with me each year when he sees me bring my cows home. He asks to help wean and ship calves each year. Living in a developed area he doesn't get to have livestock like when was growing up. He says it like having the sweetest candy. I feel as though I get to serve him by letting him play with my toys (I mean cows).

hunter63 likes this.
  15. alleyyooper

That gate won't last all that long.
    ☹️ Where are the treated stringers?
    Looks to be plain old pine stringers.

16. catsboy

catsboy Member

17. hunter63

Thank you for your concern.....
    Neither were the singers on the last gate that lasted better than 15 years.....Pictured......
    So if this one last another 15 years... that puts me a 85...so most like likely won't need to worry about it.

I will say one thing about treated wood and galvanised like screws....treatment will the threads off and start to pull out.....which is why deck screws are treated.

18. alleyyooper

I guess if it suits you then it is fine. I like to try to make things people after my ashes have been well blended in the soil will say. What in the world was he trying to do for petes sake.

hunter63 likes this.
  19. hunter63

I hear ya....
    Like I said, Thanks for the comments and concern....but works for me.

20. citilivin

citilivin Well-Known Member

The older you get, you realize how important friends are. They are easy to take for granted. It's not until they are gone that you realize this.

hunter63 likes this.