Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Canola oil? Been doing some research and not sure what to think. Seems like many more bad reports than good. Course the good ones come from the fda and the ones selling it...
Thoughts?
Tom

·
Registered
240 Posts
You believe the FDA?? Of course the ones selling it are going to promote it.
Its a foe. It's been new and improved (the rapeseed--which it comes from) but that is genetically modified, thanks to the Monsanto people.
Do your research, and follow your gut on this one.

G

·
Canola oil that's organic or certified GMO-free is good.

If it's not one of the above, it's genetically engineered, which is bad.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No I do not trust the fda...
I switched to South Beach Diet Italian dressing to get away from HFCS.
Maybe out of the pan and into the fire on this one.
Time I guess to start making my own dressing.
What happened to >the good ole days<?
Tom
P.S. Anyone seen the world according to monsanto?
Scary stuff.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Canola oil is bad? Yikes. I like it when I fry up breaded eggplant to go into the Eggplant parmesean. It takes heat so well while olive oil gets smoky.

Great...yet another thing I have to ditch.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I'm reading "You on a Diet" right now and Dr. Oz & Dr. Roizen say that canola oil is good. I'll try to find out exactly what they say about it.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I don't know if this is true, because I don't remember which side was writing it, but I read an article that said the rapeseed is technically not a food grain. The article also said that the oil is not good for ones' eyesight. Like others, one artilce says it's great, other say it's not. Who knows.
jd

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Until recently canola oil/rapeseed oil was only used to lubricate machinery. I prefer oils that have been eaten for thousands of years by humans: olive, mostly. I used to have a MS degree in nutrition and the U of Cal used to reccomend canola. I think it's a judgement call; Oprah's pals like it, too. I won't eat flax either b/c I couldn't find that it was consumed by humans for even a hundred years. Maybe someone here knows better? ldc

·
Registered
918 Posts
This subject comes up pretty regular so I did some digging in a great old book I was given recently. Please take my post as intended, possibly of some interest.

Oxdford University reports that "Rape, also known as Cole or Coleseed has been cultivated since ancient times and pressed for an edible oil. Used in Europe and India mostly for oiling loaves of bread before baking and for winter and spring salad greens. Widely used for cattle feed plants as well as the pressed seed cakes."

Considering the huge market that has been created for the deceptive Canola Oil, I'm sure some profit driven GM has taken place. I don't use it myself. EV olive oil does smoke at a lower heat due to the wonderful, flavorful fruit particles that come from cold pressing. "Pure" Olive oil is made next and is well filtered. No real smoke problem even when stir-frying on high heat. Just my feel good, healthy solution...Glen

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I think its the smoking point of the oil, if it gets too hot, it turns into a carcinagen, or cancer causing agent.

G

·
Considering the huge market that has been created for the deceptive Canola Oil, I'm sure some profit driven GM has taken place.
More than "some".

Cornell University:

More than 60% of Canada's rapeseed acreage-- the source of most U.S. canola oil-- is planted with genetically engineered varieties.

http://www.geo-pie.cornell.edu/crops/canola.html

Canola Council (trade group):

Canola was developed using traditional plant breeding techniques, so it was not developed using biotechnology. However, about 80% of the canola grown in Canada has now been modified using biotechnology

http://www.canola-council.org/canola_oil_the_truth.aspx

1 - 13 of 13 Posts