Friend in need of help

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sue currin, Dec 7, 2005.

1. sue currin

sue currin Well-Known Member

Any body live in NC? We have a friend that needs a bathroom. She is 74 and was a social worker forever.But has been out of the field for along time, now she needs alittle help. She has been in the hostable and then rehab for 2 months. She is now home but does not have running water. I am going down with a hot water heater and well pump and pipe and wiring. She is getting a composting toilet, so no septic tank needed. We don't have money to get a shower stall or insulation for the porch where we have to put the bathroom. It will take all our money just to get there and come back. Was woundering if there are any groups in NC that will donate some supplies to help out this wonderfull lady that has lived off the land for more then 30 years. We called some places and thay only say to get her in subdizing housing, She thinks she will die if she leves her home and pets. This is real doable with some supplies help. Thank ya"ll Sue

2. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

try checking with some local churches. they SHOULD be able to help

each year, we have a church group that comes and makes repairs to elderly people houses at no charge.

3. Nette

Nette Well-Known Member Supporter

Sue--Does she own her home, or have a life estate in the property? If so, she can call the local USDA-Rural Development office and inquire about the "504" program. This is a loan and grant program for "very low" income folks to do repairs to their home which would remove health hazards. Last year, most counties around us were declared "disaster" due to hurricanes which mostly affected coastal areas. Just a residual benefit. But don't get her hopes up for a grant. They're only available to people over 62, and circumstances must be incredibly dire. Even still, there's a waiting list. But if she's willing to consider a one percent loan, with a payment of less than about $30/month (depending on the loan amount) USDA-RD might be able to help her. PM me if interested. I work there.--Jeannette

4. Tater'sPa

Tater'sPa Well-Known Member

What area of NC?

5. Iddee

Iddee Well-Known Member

I also would like to know what part of NC. I have been known to have resources for things like this.

6. sue currin

Hi everybody She is 74 years old and lives in Grandville co a place called Creedmoore. There is no help in Creedmoore but just over the country line in Wake Co. they have all kinds of money. Talked with a guy that said he would love to get into Grandville co to do some work but can't take the funds and resorces out of his county. I thought it might be a stste wide thing not a county by county thing. Wake is rich, They get lots of donations and don't even use all of the money, While Grandville is poorer and doesn't even have a program avable. Grandville doesn't even have a visting nurse anymore.

7. sue currin

Hi I am very instreaded in the USDA thing. Joan is 74 and she ownes the house. She had a nice home on the place but it burnt down many years ago so she has made an old slave house into here her home. Proberly couldn't get the house pass anykind of inspections. I put her in a wood stove this summer and the 200 year old house is not what goverment would call good shape. But she loves the place and I am going to do all I can to make it comfordable for her. Thank you so much Sue

8. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

http://www.dhhs.state.nc.us/aging/

Possibly this site will offer some help. I don't live in NC an longer, but when I did the state had many programs to assist seniors including installing bathrooms, heat and insulation in their homes.
    Habitat for Humanity does renovations in some areas also.

9. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

What a giving person you are, Sue. :clap:

10. dave85

dave85 dave85

and worth a bump. I did some rehab work on my own on an Indian rez and hooked up with home depot to give me some stuff.
    Somebody's gonna help on this, I'm sure.
    Dave

11. sue currin

Thank you all. We just ordered her a composting toilet and have found a shower stall. tried the hookup for NC help. Talked to miss May yesterday, she could not help us at all. The church I grew up in down there is helping with a hundrend dollars, I haven't lived there in over 27 years, thay are special people. They are also getting up supplies to help out with the project. My granddaddy gave the land for the church some 50 years ago. Nothing like calling on home folks to make your heart swell with pride for having come from such stock. Sue

12. Tater'sPa

Tater'sPa Well-Known Member

I'm a but far away to help until after the 1st. of the year but would be more than willing to lend a hand then.
    Creedmoor is about 20 minutes NE of Durham, over three hours from me. I don't know anyone in that area that could help out.
    Here's a list of churches in that area.

BRASSFIELD BAPTIST CHURCH, 919-528-2796
    2072 NC HIGHWAY, CREEDMOOR NC 27522
    CONCORD BAPTIST CHURCH, 919-528-1102
    116 MOSS ROAD, CREEDMOOR NC 27522
    FELLOWSHIP BAPTIST CHURCH, 919-528-4176
    1512 BEAVER DAM, CREEDMOOR NC 27522
    FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH, 919-528-2351
    119 SOUTH MAIN STREET, CREEDMOOR NC 27522
    GREENFIELD BAPTIST CHURCH, 919-528-1595
    HIGHWAY 56, CREEDMOOR NC 27522
    MOUNT VERNON BAPTIST CHURCH, 919-528-2715
    2197 MOSS HAYES ROAD, CREEDMOOR NC 27522
    NEW LIGHT BAPTIST CHURCH, 919-528-4973
    15408 NEW LIGHT, CREEDMOOR NC 27522
    NEWLIGHT BAPTIST CHURCH, 919-528-4948
    NEWLIGHT ROAD, CREEDMOOR NC 27522
    OLIVE GROVE BAPTIST CHURCH, 919-528-2424
    3024 OLIVE GROVE CHURCH, CREEDMOOR NC 27522
    PINE GROVE BAPTIST CHURCH, 919-528-1783
    LAKE ROAD, CREEDMOOR NC 27522
    PLEASANT GROVE BAPTIST CHURCH, 919-528-2793
    2004 HAYES ROAD, CREEDMOOR NC 27522
    ROCKY SPRINGS BAPTIST CHURCH, 919-528-2901
    3180 BRUCE GARNER, CREEDMOOR NC 27522
    SYMNA GROVE BAPTIST CHURCH, 919-528-1737
    TAR RIVER ROAD, CREEDMOOR NC 27522
    TALLY HO FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH, 919-528-8565
    1692 SANDERS ROAD, CREEDMOOR NC 27522

Church of God
    BRASSFIELD CHURCH OF GOD, 919-528-2141
    2108 SUITT STORE, CREEDMOOR NC 27522
    CREEDMOOR CHURCH OF GOD, 919-528-3363
    HIGHWAY 55, CREEDMOOR NC 27522

Non-Denominational
    ROCK OF AGES CHURCH, 919-528-6188
    304 SOUTH MAIN STREET, CREEDMOOR NC 27522
    ROCK SPRING UNITED CHURCH, 919-528-2202
    BRUCE GARNER ROAD, CREEDMOOR NC 27522

13. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

Contact Habitat for Humanity in Creedmoor or Wake co. Tell them the problem and see what they can help you with even if it is just for information. HFH helps the poor and elderly here in the Sandhills. Also you might contact the Lowe's or Home Depot they might have contacts. Good luck and please let us know how things turn out.

14. sue currin

Thank you got the list, not sure how to go about asking them, but will just do it. As far as home depot and lowes, what do I do to get them involed?

15. clovis

clovis Well-Known Member

My own limited experience from Lowe's and Home Ripoff has been like pulling teeth.
    In this area, both stores talked big promises about helping a tremendous not for profit that rehabs historic homes in our area.
    After about six months of run around from both store managers, the group quit on the efforts.
    Both stores sounded like broken records: "Yeah, make a list and I will check into this with the regional manager and get you some stuff.......we want to help, but have to go thru the proper channels......I am still waiting to hear from corporate......we are here to support the community......I just am waiting on the paper work...."
    In essence, they talk a big game, but the real game is to put you off until you don't need the help any more.
    My advice?
    DONT EVEN BOTHER ASKING CORPORATE STORES FOR HELP! IT IS A WASTE OF TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    CLOVE

16. dave85

dave85 dave85

Find the MOD (manager on duty), usually busy and under pressure. Ask him/her if you can have a couple of minutes. Tell your story quickly.You're looking for a damaged shower stall and some ripped insulation. That's ALL.

50/50 chance you'll get a decent one who'll help, give you some or all what you need.

Let me repeat, you are gonna get this done.
    Dave

Take a printout of this thread with you