Fridge-freezer problem

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Ed Norman, Jul 31, 2004.

1. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

We have a 14 year old Fridge with the freezer on top. Lately the top towards the front and the front top corners on the sides has been getting very warm. This is all far from motors and compressors. The sides, fridge section, and everything else seems normal and everything is cooling okay. What could make it heat up like that?

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Ed, with some freezers there are freon carrying tubes mounted around the outside of the freezing compartments but underneath the skin metal. When a large load is placed on the freezer the heat in the product is carried away within the tubing. Some refrigerators have a heat tape installed around the door openingss to avoid moisture buildup. I think you have one of the above. The unit is working fine isn't it?

3. Ed Norman

Yes, it is working fine. The house gets up to 80 degrees or a little more in our brief summer. That's when we noticed the hot fridge. So you think it's alright? Elk season opens tomorrow, for some dumb reason. I might need all the freezer space I can get.

4. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Maybe it needs vacuuming around the compresor and as far up as you can reach behind but it sounds Ok to me too.

5. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Ed, I am somewhat envious with the hunting season opening you are about to participate. When I load our freezer with meat or produce I too notice that it will get even hotter than normal. I feel certain it is the removal of the contents heat that drives the exterior of the box higher. Hpefully you will have a successful hunt and you can "test" the freezer. :) I expect to test ours in a few months when deer season opens. We had some wonderful omelettes this morning using venison sausage from last years harvest! Do you process your own meat?

6. Ed Norman

Sorry I was slow to answer. We didn't go hunting, we cleaned the deep freezes and still didn't have room for an elk. Season goes a few months so there is plenty of time. The freezer is still working just fine, maybe it is normal.

Yes, we process all our own meat. We have a bandsaw and a big slicer that cuts great bacon, and a selection of poor to fair grinders. We took a big bag of pork fat out of the freezer and made lard this weekend. First we ran it thru a grinder, the lard cooked out in mere minutes. It was worth the trouble to grind it first.

It's still too warm to knock an elk over.

7. deviator12000

deviator12000 Member

FYI: From Mother Earth News Magazine

The Indians used to use Slippery Elm tree bark when they melted down Bear fat, etc., then drain it off. It would keep the fat from going rancid. Slippery Elm trees grow everywhere on the North American continent.

8. Wanda Huestis

Wanda Huestis Member

Ed - my husband works for GE Factory Service. He has a few questions.

1. What brand and size is the unit?
    2. Is the heat you are feeling on top of the unit or in between the doors?

9. Ed Norman

Wanda,

1.Admiral Signature 2000, 18.6 cu ft, model HMG 19504, frostless

2. The heat is on the side of the box. It starts about even with the top of the freezer door handle and continues on up to the top of the freezer, several inches in from each side. The heat is in a 6" strip, front to back.

Thanks.