Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has got to be the easiest removal I'll ever do. Fellow calls me on Wednesday the 11th and says he has bees in his grarage will I come remove them. I tell him of course but can't make it till Friday. He said they were in a box.
I took a tarp and a small section of OSB to set the box on as I didn't know the condition. Got there about 8:00pm but the bees were still flying in and out. Box had a lid shut, and the bees were useing a hand hold as and entrance. Once they stopped flying I placed a sectoin of screen over the hand hold tapeing it in place. I put some tape on the lid for good measure and put them in the back of the truck for the ride home.
How I am getting them into a hive body after I down load the pictures.

:D Al

·
Super Moderator
12,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The box with handhold screened over.

The side hand hold screened over.

A trial fit of the hand hold to the upper entrance of the inter cover. No not the entrance showen but the 3/4 inch high one on the other (down) side, Nice fit.

Top view.

Took it to a leanto shed with a east entrance so the card board box will be out of the weather. The opening in the handhold of the box is 5 inches as is the entrance cover opening. Placed 6 frames of drawn comb, 2 frames of honey and 2 frames of foundation in the hive. The bees have to travel thru the hive to get out and forage (till they chew a hole in the box at least). I am hopeing that will draw the queen to the hive body. Will check in a week to see what happens.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
All that drawn comb seems awfully inviting.

An intelligent queen would take advantage of the opportunity and move out of the box. I'm sure your queen is intelligent :)

Please do tell us how it works out.

·
Super Moderator
12,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dumping them into the hive?
Possiable things that could go wrong.
The queen is a virgin or newly mated and flys off.
The little bit of comb in the box breaks loose and crushes the queen.
We have time to wait and see what they do.
Seems to be lots of activity at the entrance already.

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
Man, the only way that could have been easier is if the "box" had been an actual hive body. congratulations! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts