Fresh Tamworth meat

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by djuhnke, Nov 17, 2005.

1. djuhnke

djuhnke Well-Known Member

Wow...I just got back 2 of the finished pigs and man is the meat fresh and tender. I had to make fresh sausage for my customers and the meat was perfect. Little fat and tasty meat. I hated to make sausage out of the meat but when I finished and tasted it...incredible. Next year I'lll have a few more to dedicate to making more sausage.

Thanks to all of the great people on this board who turned a foolish suburban boy into a part-time hog farmer. I couldn't have done it without you guys. Books only go so far.

Not that I'd tried alot of pasture pork but I'd really recommend the tamworth to raise up. Very hands off (except when the sow wanted a scratch) and hearty. They had a show on the food network where Tyler florentine went to England for a english breakfast and they served tamworth sausage and made a big deal of it. Now I know why. WOW!

Just had to brag :)

2. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

I'm so glad to hear that. We have one who'll be ready to process in a couple months.
    BTW, doesn't the sow ALWAYS want a scratch? I can't go outside without our gilt hounding me. As soon as I slow down she flops down and exposes her belly. Kinda hard to walk around sometimes. I'm trying to teach her the meaning of NO, lol. For those of you who don't know pigs well, that's about impossible. Pigs are very persistant.
    They are also the most vocal pigs I've ever been around, but in a pleasant way. Not much of the annoying high-pitched squealing, but lots of guiet very expressive noises. Very cool. We love em!

3. djuhnke

Yep, they like to talk and come to you like dogs. Ours got out when I had shut down the fence (it was shorting in a weedy area and I didn't restart it). They ran into the corn and around the house for 2 hours. My wife is 9 months pregnant raced down the driveway ahead of them and just shut the gates in time so they didn't get on the street. They played with the football in the yard and ran around. They finally came back to the gate when one of our friends walked over and they came up to her. She led them into the barn like the pied piper.

I like the breed, they are smart and do their own thing. No squeals unless the test the fence.

4. Horace Baker

Horace Baker Well-Known Member

We've raised nothing but Tamworth for years. I have never seen a nicer looking carcass.

5. Petsguy

Petsguy Well-Known Member

I am located in IL and would like to get a few tamworth for the hobby farm/petting zoo setting that we have. Would also like to find a nice mini heifer, a dexter or zebu preferrably. Does anyone know of any that are reasonably priced in or around Illinois? Also, I have goats and sheep to trade. Thanks.

Take care,
    Jeff Port
    Smallville Miniatures and Exotics
    Peoria, IL
    309/678-3457

6. djuhnke

Check with wendell brittian in greencastle, IN. I posted the tamworth asso address and number in one of the other questions. That is where I got mine from. Pricing may vary.

7. John Schneider

John Schneider Well-Known Member

Question for you Tamworth folks...based on your comments along with others, I sourced out someone fairly local who raises Tamworths. I mentioned it to our equivalent of an extension officer and he suggested that the Tamworth carcasses he had seen had too much back fat and were harder for producers to sell. Now, this could be a genetic thing because there are so few of them up here and so little in the gene pool. Any thoughts on his comments? He suggested Berkshires instead.

8. djuhnke

He prob. owns a Berkshire farm ;) . My meat came back with some fat. For me it had more flavor than any store bought (just had pork chops tonite). It was juicy with abit of fat. If you are seeking a leaner animal, raise it on only pasture and you'll get lean. I choose to follow Agmans advice and go with corn & soy meal with some vege's occasionally and vitamins as well. I was trying to get them ready in 130 days. If time is not an issue, you could take 180-240 days on pasture and you'd have a tasty lean bacon breed pig.

If you are selling the meat, its heirloom breed an you can ask for more $'s because of it (at least I did)

9. royB

royB Well-Known Member

I can add to the "lean" side of the discussion. One of the gilts I bought never pigged so rather than continue down a road laced with possible problems we decided to slaughter her. She weighed 545 lbs. The processor laughed, smiled and said "that is one big hog" when he told me how much she weighed.

The chops are larger than the normal store bought but has a normal amount of fat. The sausage is lean, as is the bacon and ham steaks (but boy are they big).

I asked about fat when I picked up the pork and he said untill then he thought that Duroc had the best carcass but he might change his mind if I keep bringing these hogs in.

I plan on taking more that's for sure.

Roy

10. genebo

genebo Well-Known Member Supporter

Where can I got 3 feeder pigs or a bred sow not too far from Virginia?

Does anyone near central Virginia have any for sale?

Genebo
    Paradise Farm
    Dinwiddie County, VA