Fresh Pork steaks,sausage and ribs

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Snuffy Smith, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Snuffy Smith

Snuffy Smith Well-Known Member

Well, last Saturday me and a neighbor butcherd a couple of pigs. We killed them the night before, gutted them, and then left the carcass hanging upside down in the barn all night. The next day, we set out to skinning the beast. This requires at least two people and a sharp knife. My new electric knife that I bought 3 days before came in quite handy. Anyway, someone has to pull down on the skin while you cut it away from the body. My neighbor had a set of special clamp-type vice grips to help grab ahold of the skin and pull it down which made the job a lot easier. We pulled the skin down all the way to the head. The pig I had raised had quite a lot of meat on her. Once the skinning is done the rest was easy. I just walked up to the pig and starting cutting off nice size steakes, and chunks of meat to be used in grinding up for sausage. I also cut out both ribs which were full of meat. (I just loves pork ribs on the grill) I also cut out the pork loin. I put all my steaks and ribs in gallon size plastic freezer bags and put then in the freezer. All the rest of the meat that did'nt go into steaks went into a large plastic container, and then we ran it through the sausage grinder which grinds the meat into ground pork. At this point, I weighed 10 lbs of meat at a time and seasoned it with a pre measured blend of spices that I got off the internet. I used sage, red pepper, thyme, black pepper, salt, and parsely. After that 60 lbs of meat was seasoned, we ran it back through the grinder which had a special attachment on it this time that channels the meat into your sausage wraps that you can buy at most butcher shops. We had seasoned 1 lb of sausage before we did all this, and cooked it up, to make sure the ratio of seasoning was right for 10 lbs of meat. Anyway, the whole process of skinning, steaks, sausage, and ribs only took about 2 hours, but there were 3 of us, so the more help you have, the better. I had ribs this weekend. They were wonderful. Can't wait to grill up those steaks....

2. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Sounds like fun Snuffy! I think I'll try those vice grips next time, thanks for the tip!
    Isn't it a great feeling to have all that meat put away. You just can't beat homegrown.
    Also, don't you wish there were more ribs on a hog? I could eat grilled or smoked ribs just about every day. :eek:
    Thanks for the update!

3. bare

bare Head Muderator

That WAS fast.

Next time you skin a hog, try this: Take an infamous box-cutter and starting top to bottom slice every four inches. Then hook your vise grips onto the four inch piece of skin and it'll yank right off. Box cutters are adjustable for depth and it'll save you lots of time.

4. Snuffy Smith

I've grilled up beef steaks and pork steaks together before at the same time, and that pork taste just as good as them beef steaks when you grill them. When you butcher your own, you can have whatever cut you want. My electric knife sure did make an easy job of cutting all that meat off the pig. Nothing taste like fresh pork that you have raised and butcherd yourself, and I want to say thanks to Cowgirlone who gave me advice and pointers during the last few months.

5. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

You're sure welcome Snuffy. I'm glad it turned out good for you! The more of them you do, the easier it gets too. :D

Bare, I'm gonna give that a try....sure sounds like it would be easier, thanks!

6. bare

bare Head Muderator

Should have mentioned too, it's easier on a warm carcass than one that's hung over night.

7. Upham

Upham Well-Known Member

Here is a quick and easy way to skin a deer that would probably work on a hog. make your cuts around the head, out to and around the feet. Take a rock about the size of a plum and wrap the skin of the neck around it then tie a rope around that (kinda like a pouch). Tie the other end of the rope to a car bumper. Tie another rope around its neck and the other end to a tree. Then sloooooowly drive away while another keeps watch and cuts when needed and the whole skin will come right off. Make sure you put plastic sheeting under it to keep the carcass clean.
    Up

8. Snuffy Smith

That box cutter idea sounds like a good idea Bare. I'm gonna have to try that. I don't know if I have the patience to try the car idea or not Upham. If it didn't work the first time or so, I might get road rage and end up doing dough-nuts all over the pig. :haha:

9. Brad

Brad Active Member

"Then sloooooowly drive away while another keeps watch and cuts when needed and the whole skin will come right off."

My butcher has an electirc winch on his truck and he uses chains to do exactly that. Skins comes of in one piece. Pretty slick!