Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live next door to 35 acres of pistachios. They are harvesting them now over the next couple of days. I was thinking of seeing if I could buy a barrel of them for cheap for pig feed. They are still in the shells with a hull but the good nuts crack open naturally when ripe (like you see them in the store). Any thoughts on nutrition? I can probably get a whole garbage can of them for 20 bucks.

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
I live next door to 35 acres of pistachios. They are harvesting them now over the next couple of days. I was thinking of seeing if I could buy a barrel of them for cheap for pig feed. They are still in the shells with a hull but the good nuts crack open naturally when ripe (like you see them in the store). Any thoughts on nutrition? I can probably get a whole garbage can of them for 20 bucks.
At 21 % protein they should be a good freed for pigs.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Wow thats great my pigs love them. the feed i buy is spent brewers grain. cracked corn. cereal. and peanuts almonds and pistachios and cashews. thet usually pick out the pistachios first. and chew up the shell and all. i have also fed them walnuts before. they will eat them and just seems like they have to really chew them to crack them so i dont feed them anymore. ya great score though.

·
Premium Member
1,475 Posts
Wow, I'd love to buy pistacios for us humans! You could go into business with that!We get spent brewer's grain, and this time of year we can pick up literally tons of apples, and after next month, pumpkins. The pigs, sheep and goats are pretty thrilled around here!
Kit

1 - 8 of 8 Posts