Fresh organic goat milk in GA?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by seahealth, Oct 29, 2004.

1. seahealth

seahealth Well-Known Member

I am curious if I can find a source locally for fresh raw organic grass-fed goat's milk? If we decide we like it, then we would be looking for a regular source and quite possibly when we move, I might be interested in having some goats of my own.

I am new to the board, but VERY interested in learning everything I can to decide what route to take.

2. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

Dear Seahealth, I know of goat herds in Georgia. I am not sure how Georgia laws are on selling raw milk there but here in Al. They sale it for pet use all the time. Not sure who or what drinks it after it leaves the farm. :)

3. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

Hi. I am in GA and have Nubians. I am drying them off right now, so I don't have milk to sell. You do have to sell it for pet use only here, but I sould to quite a few people who drank my milk. It's also the only milk we drink. Check with the co-op in your area. They can usually direct you to who has the milk.

4. seahealth

I was wondering about that. Where in GA are you? Today we found some powdered milk - pasteurized... at least we can try that for now, but we so badly want to try the real thing. I am surprised, even my husband is so curious now that I have been talking about it.

So it can be sold as pet food, at least it can be sold. I wonder what the chances are that the laws will change. I am assuming in the past that it was allowed to be sold?

Growing up in PA, we used to get fresh milk from the dairy when I was young.

5. Stacy Adams

Stacy Adams Well-Known Member

Check out RealMilk.com for sellers in your area..

6. seahealth

yeah, I had already been to that web site, it didn't prove exactly helpful for me. I think that site is mostly dedicated to cow's milk.

7. Stacy Adams

8. seahealth

ok, I understand that, but since it is basically illegal to sell raw milk in GA for consumption, then there wouldn't be much to find there, the closest thing I found on there was someone who drives to SC to get milk every week, but since they didn't specify goat's milk, one would assume they are buying cow's milk. I didn't see any mention on that site about goat's milk.

The information on there about cow sharing was quite interesting though. I was wondering if anyone does the same thing with goats? Where I currently live, I think I wouldn't be allowed to have such animals on my property, but could possibly find someone nearby where I could work out a deal until we move.

9. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

All my milk is sold for animal consumption. What the customer chooses to do with it after purchase is up to them entirely. And that is the premise behind all non-grade A daires on realmilk.com goat, cow or sheep. The cow/goat milk shares is just too much paperwork for me to keep up with.

You have to be a sleuth to find raw milk when your state does not allow on farm milk sales, like Oklahoma and a few others. Finding winter milk is the worst with most folks drying their does up and not doing any year round breeding....like me :)

ADGA.org has a list of goat clubs in all states, finding a club local to you would get you in touch with all the folks in your area who show and belong to that club. Rawmilk is an underground product, I am sure alot like how moonshine was back when. Everyone has it, nobody talks about it publically, but I bet you have someone local to you who raises goats and sells milk, you just don't know it! Vicki

10. seahealth

Vicki,

I am sure you are right. Matter of fact, one day we were driving not too far from here, and I saw a bunch of goats in a fenced in area. But I can't just go up to that house and knock on the door and say, "do you milk your goats...." I have been tempted, but that would just be so awkward and I am sure they would think I am looney.

I am going to check out the site you mentioned. Thank you.

11. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Actually most goats folks love to talk about their goats, and can talk goats forever :) Just watch the boards :) I have been found even living down the dead end of a mile and a half of dirt roads :) Just driving by has actually been used! Even though you can't see anything but my dairy sign from the road :) Check the local health food stores, and your county extension agent and feed stores, don't tell the feed stores or the extension agent you are looking for people milk, tell them it's for puppies or soap! Vicki

12. seahealth

great advice Vicki!

13. beelady

beelady Member

Vicki,
    How do you know if the people are as conscientious as you are about testing their goats? Can they pass something on in the milk? What would you recommend doing with it if you weren't sure?

Sheryl

14. mysticokra

mysticokra Well-Known Member

I have had excellent quality raw goat's milk from Split Creek Farms in Anderson, SC. They are a Grade "A" Dairy. They milk 300 mostly Nubians and the flavor has been very consistent.

By the time I pay shipping to get it here in North Alabama, it works out to about $13.00/ gallon. I was paying $8.00/gallon when we lived in GA from a local supplier, plus shipping, so this seems like a reasonable price.

You can order at http://www.splitcreek.com/ :)

15. seahealth

very useful information, thank you! they are about 2 hours closer to me than the closest goat dairy I could find in GA (they can't sell raw milk here, but sell cheese).

so even though I don't read it on their web site, I am assuming these goats are grass-fed. have you tried any of their other products besides the milk?

16. seahealth

so does anybody know all the states that allow raw milk sales for human consumption?

I found it on the internet somewhere a few days back, don't remember where I read it.

17. mysticokra

mysticokra Well-Known Member

I have tried their cheese, which is pasteurized and their fudge. Both taste excellent. They told me the reason they pasteurize the cheese is because SC requires a really long holding period if they don't. Don't know if the goats are totally grass-fed, but I would expect they get a little grain at milking time.
    That's just good goat management.

It is really difficult to find a listing of the states that permit raw milk sales or those that do not because of the variations. For example, GA allows raw milk sales for "pet consumption". Others allow it on the farm, but with no advertising. The hurdles to being able to offer a quality product and let your buyers judge the value are really stupid. However, they do favor the large dairy interests, who pushed for them to begin with.

In the Appendix of Dr. Ron Scmid's book "The Untold Story of Milk" there is a list that is a very good start to the information you seek. See http://www.drrons.com/untoldstoryofmilk.html

18. Stacy Adams

Realmilk.com lists each states raw milk laws.. look under "What's Happening"

19. seahealth

mysticokra there was a really good article on that site about raw milk, looks like that is a very good book that I would love to read, thanks for the link.