Fresh from the oven

Discussion in 'Goats' started by TerryJ, Dec 23, 2005.

1. TerryJ

TerryJ Well-Known Member

We milk commercially and are about to dry up for the season. (So I thought)
    At 5 a.m. A Nubian doe was in labor for 1 1/2 hrs. had a little trouble but doing fine 2 does 1 buck. Two hours later Alpine and Nubian cross in labor had two bucks. I just went and looked in the birthing pen and a La Mancha was the proud mother of twins not sure of the sex yet of the kids. Come on girls it 45* in Wisconsin your doing a great job. Does anybody need buck kids ? :D

2. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

If you were in Central Texas, I'd say let's talk. Congratulations. I'm starting to look forward to getting a few kids next month.
    mary

3. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

So glad that the babies came on a decent weather day! You were very blessed. Aren't they just too cute for words?

We let the four moms and eight new babies outside today..as we were very warm here too, Praise be to God. Oh my...did they have fun! Jumping and circling and "hopping".. aren't we just the luckiest people?

Congrats on those babies...I had six does and two bucks...and they are the best we've ever had..my buck is proving to me that he is a keeper..LOL!! Any one out there ready for "new" goats?

4. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

CONGRATS on the new babies! By the way, just out of curiosity what would make does have less babies than what they usually do. The boers we have are SUPOSSED to have 2-3 babies each time, and they have been giving us only ONE baby each, other than one that had twins. Could it be the timing, or stress from just moving, I really don't know what to think, other than that maybe the guy we bought them from LIED to us AGAIN. Well Good Lcuk, bye.

5. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

Congratulations on your new babies. I'm glad the weather cooperated. I was born and raised in Wisconsin and I remember some pretty cold Decembers. Now I'm getting homesick for WI. Must be the holidays.
    Goat Freak - Goats don't always have the same size litters. The seller could have lied, but I don't know that. If the goats were bred before you bought them, the move to your place wouldn't have affected the number of kids. If they were bred shortly after arriving at your place, stress and feed change may have been a factor. Weight is also a factor. If the goats have gotten fat in the past year, this may be why they had less kids.

6. Goat Freak

Well for the most part I figured thati t could have been stress, but ALL of them were bred at our place. One SUPPOSIDLY had triplets every time for all of her 5 years of breeding, another had had triplets with the guy that we bought them from, and other than that we didn't really have too many problems with the amount of kids. Ohe well, by the way, the reason I suspect htat the man might have lied is that he has already lied to us quite a few times. Like I said, Oh well, thank you for answering my question though. Bye.

7. mary,tx

How old are your goats now? Age could be a factor. My Molly had triplets until last year. At age 7 she had trouble conceiving, and only delivered one. This year, the breeding did not take and she had to have a shot again. Hopefully she is pregnant now. We'll see if she has more than one this time, but I am also hearing from other people that the number of kids sometimes drops back to one or two as the goats pass prime.
    mary

8. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

The biggest factor seems to be the condition of the goat and the diet when the babies are concieved. If the goat is fat, most of the internal fat builds up around the reproductive organs causing a low rate of kids concieved. On the other end of the spectrum, if the goat is thin and on starvation rations(just enough to get her by), her body will tell her that there will likely not be enough food for many kids, so she will most likely concieve just one or maybe two kids. The best way to get multiples is to have the doe in good condition(not too thin, not too fat), and flush them a little before breeding starts. That way, they are getting plenty of food and their body tells them there will be plenty to support more babies. So more kids are concieved. Thats a very simplified version, but thats what has proved true for me. :D The stress of moving, a different diet, etc. could have affected your goats this year. Also minerals. Do you keep minerals out for your herd??

9. Goat Freak

O.K.. lets see if I can answer all the questions.

#1 I do not think that age would be a factor with any but 2 0f them, one is getting a bit old, 6 years old, and the other is a first freshner, the other two are not old and not young, so they SHOULD be having more right?

#2 I think that our goats are probly fat, speaking which that might be the reason that Queenie, the 6 year old, only had one baby, she was REALLY fat, because we thought for MONTHS that she was going to have babies any day so we feed her like she was going to. Let's put it this way, our goats are now going on a diet :p .

#3 Yeah our goats have minerals.

#4 What is Flushing?

Thank you for the help. Bye.

10. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Flushing is upping the quality or protien in the does diet starting a few weeks before breeding starts. It causes her body to release more eggs(because there is plenty of food for multiple kids), causing more kids to be concieved. Most people do a "flush" with grain or alfalfa. Not too much, or the change can cause digestive upsets.

11. mary,tx

One of our first does was a nice big plump girl. She always looked pregnant, and when bred always looked like she was carrying several. She always had only one. I have read that the extra fat makes it harder for them to conceive.
    mary

12. mtnview

mtnview New Member

Saw some good info on flushing!

I read a few books and they said you could flush 30 days before and feed Grain @ about 1 pound per CWT. I tried it this year. They said you could have problems if you have pine trees. I'll have to wait on that one. My brother-in-law does the same with his sheep and it works well.

Thanks for the great info from Ozarks!

John