Freezing water

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Firefly, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Firefly

Firefly Well-Known Member

Ark's hot weather water troubles have me thinking about my upcoming cold weather ones. Life is easy now with my plastic barrel nipple waterer. How can I avoid hauling buckets of water when it's -20*?? No electricity unless I run many extension cords, but then I have to worry about her biting them. :eek:

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Firefly, does it stay below -20 for any duration? What is the frost depth?

3. Firefly

Frostline around 5' I think. Yes, this winter was unusually mild but most nights it got below -10, with many below -15 and smoe below -20. Days would sometimes get into the teens. There was less snow than usual too, so less insulation. Are you thinking of an underground cistern with a pump? There was a chicken coop setup someone posted with a barrel in the ground with a pump that flowed water through a trough and back to the barrel. He said it didn't freeze. I thought this sounded like the answer until I realized he's in TX or something and doesn't have my winters to contend with.

I also thought floats would do it but apparently not. I vaguely remember someone talking about tires in a stock tank? Does that sound right? I also have the issue of getting the water TO the containers. I suspect it will be the bucket brigade on sleds again! :rolleyes: :grump:

4. bricned

bricned Well-Known Member

I need to know how to hook up this water barrel.My hogs turn over and try to
    get in every thing I water them in. I really can not blame them as hot as it has
    been here in central Louisiana

5. Firefly

Read the " Pig's WATER - help! " thread and buy nipples made for pigs.