Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to make the Chili Sauce recipe in the Ball Blue Book but due to health issues cannot get to it soon. Can I freeze the tomatoes and make this another time? What kind of prep work should I do before freezing? I would appreciate any help :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Wash them, and put them in a ZipLoc, burp the air out of it, and can them later! It works well!
and for me "later" is often so far away that I stick them in the freezer. Easy to skin later too. Just drop the whole, frozen tomatoes into a pot of water. Skins slide right off with just a tad of rubbing.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I prefer to take the seeds out of mine before i freeze them.

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you flowergurl and JustLittleMe :) They are now in the freezer.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I had a lot of tomatoes all at once, again this year. I carved off the core and any spots, gave 'em a squeeze in the sink and put them in 5 quart ice cream pails to freeze.
I have 10 of those to use.

Yesterday I took out 4 of them, so 5 gallons of tomatoes and started to boil them down all afternoon, yummy smells. Added 3 cups of chopped onions, cooked it some more.
Cooled it off overnight, about a total of 6 quarts, ran them through a food mill to make ketchup this mornin'.
Boiled up 4 cups of vinegar with a spice bag: 4 t cloves, 2 broken up cinnamon, 1 t cayenne, 4 t celery seed, 2 t allspice, bring to a boil and let sit for 30 minutes, take out the spice bag and add vinegar to tomatoes.
Added 2 cups sugar and 1/3 cup canning salt.
(very close to Ball Blue Book recipe)
Prepped the jars, lids, screw caps, canner.
Boiled the mixture for 1/2 hour stirring a lot.
Canned 14 and 1/2 pints of ketchup. Delicious.
They are coming out of the canner in 5 minutes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts