freezing rain

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by busybee870, Jan 14, 2007.

1. busybee870

busybee870 Well-Known Member

ok my weather forcast says, freezing rain, temps dropping down below freezing, but little or no accumulation? I dont get it. if its below freezing , and the rain is freezing, why would it not accumulate? does it vanish? It cant melt, if the temps are below freezing. explain this to me please.

2. SouthernThunder

SouthernThunder Well-Known Member

Maybe warm soil temps?

Depends on where you're at I guess.

Right now in NE Oklahoma it looks like we have more than 3" of sleet on the ground and you don't even leave footprints in it when you walk on it. Ain't even worth sledding in cause its hard as concrete and coarse as 40 grit sandpaper. :Bawling:

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

The temp may be below freezing, and the rain could be freezing, but if the ground is still above freezing the freezing rain thaws, and runs
    downhill, or is soaked into the ground. It the ground and trees are frozen, and it rains slowly the rain freezes to everything it hits causing icy roads and sleet that can break down trees, and utility wires or poles.

Where do you live?

4. busybee870

5. millipede

millipede quack...

Part of me is actually sad that all we got here was rain today. Just on the other side of town they got some sleet and freezing rain... the next few towns north of here got hit pretty good, but all we got was rain. Then I see that a LOT of people are without power. Electric heat only here, so I'm glad I'm not in that situation right now. More to come tomorrow though.

Sometimes the accumulation just isn't worth mentioning... and until that really cold air moves in the ground probably is warm enough to melt most of it. It's probably falling slowly enough for it to melt before it can accumulate. Tomorrow(today actually) will be a little cooler and more of he frozen stuff is expected. Not as much as OK though.

6. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

We've been getting a light to medium rain for 2 days now. Lots of puddles, but no ice yet. It was actually warm out most of the day, but the reports say it will drop below freezing tonight and stay below freezing for the next couple of days. I'm having images of bored grandkids stuck in the house, sick, :grump: & bored, driving me crazy... I'll probably be the one out in the cold wet freezing rain to bring in firewood! It might be nice to get out every now and again :p

7. Sammy

Sammy Well-Known Member

WoW, U sure are having some strange weather down there in Az. !

8. Old Vet

Old Vet In Remembrance

One of the reasons is that the ground tempitures will melt most of what is expected. Another reason is that the rain will become light. I do not think that we will have much and do not think that it will become slick for any apricable time. Frezing rain begins to acumilate on above groun things like trees and then on the ground. The freasing of the things abouve the ground that happens rather quick but the ground is a large mas and thes a long time to chainge tempitures. Just because the air is freezing many things out there are not.

9. giddy

giddy Well-Known Member

Well, here, it is thundering, freezing rain one minute, sleeting the next, almost sounds like hail. We have probably 3/4" ice on the trees and power lines and I figure most of us will be without power before the day is over. Only in Oklahoma can you have so many things going on. The saying goes if you don't like the weather in Oklahoma, stick around, it will change shortly!

10. busybee870

I have been in an Oklahoma ice storm before, it wasnt pretty. The temp here hasnt dropped below 35 yet so i dont guess we will have too much trouble, Im hoping anyway, did get alot of rain though. today its foggy and 35 right now, watching the radar looks like more headed a little closer. I am soo glad I have a gas stove, at least we have heat if electric ever goes out, even working on a 50,000 btu propane heater that works with or without electric.

11. jimarh

jimarh Well-Known Member

All we have had for weeks here in southeastern Indiana is rain! Buckets of rain. Night before last, we got almost 3" of that liquid stuff........muddy, soggy, miserable and damp. No sun - just grey skies day after day. :grump:

I am a sun lover and I miss the sunshine. The only good thing about all this rain (instead of snow) is that we don't have to shovel it.