Freezing Potatoe Eyes??

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by big rockpile, Mar 15, 2004.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

I was wondering if you freeze Potatoe Eyes over Winter if they would be good to plant next Spring?

big rockpile

2. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

Don't think so. When they thaw they are mush and will rot planted or not. Which is why you dig potatoes before a freeze in the Fall.

3. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Yea, I think the crystals that form when they freeze bust the cells, killing them.

4. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Ok how about Drying them? I'm trying to figure out how to have Eyes without buying Potatoes next Spring.Other than planting a bunch of extra.

big rockpile

5. Oxankle

Oxankle Well-Known Member

Rock:

I brought in the small potatos when I abandoned my straw-on-chain-link potato hill in November. I put them in a peach box and forgot them in the garage. It gets cold out there but never freezes. I looked at them a couple times over the winter and tossed out a couple of bad potatos, but did nothing else. It stays gloomy out there but is not totally dark. Along about Feb. they started sprouting and puttng out dry roots, got all shriveled. When I planted last week I looked at them and decided that they were good and lively, so planted them right along with the new store-bought seed 'taters.

Just hill up some of your May-planted potatos and let them winter.
    Ox

6. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi, As I was peeling potatoes that had some eyes growing I thought of what you might do with your "eyes" that you want to save. Why not try drying them until you have enough to plant and plant them during the winter if you can put them in when the ground is workable. I tried planting regular "sets" in December here in Tennessee and they stayed just fine thru the winter and sprouted when it was time in the Spring. You wouldn't have much to lose to try this and it saves work in the Spring. Rita

7. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Drying eyes won't work. Without the moisture reserve, they will die. If it were possible to dry them, the cost of mail order potato seed with be a tenth of what it is. But then someone will say that there are some companies that sell set eyes and they look terribly dry when they arrive. Reputable companies allow those set eyes only to dry for several days and then ship them within the same week and at proper time for planting. I ordered 60 such sets from Gurney's once. One variety produced the full 30 plants. Still waiting for the other 30 and that was 1990!

Martin