Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever froze the bagged cabbage that you use for coleslaw? Dh and I never use up a head of cabbage, so I normally buy the bag. Sam's had a huge bag the other day 1.38 so I bought one. We are going to have to eat a lot of coleslaw. Can the cabbage mix be divided up and put in foodsaver bags. How is the texture and taste after being thawed? I'm sure I could use it in soups later down the road, just wonder how it turns out to use for coleslaw.

TIA

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
It might be possible since there are recipes for prepared freezer coleslaw. The difference would be that prepared coleslaw has a vinegar solution over it. For a $1.38 (thought again about this...might be weight) bag it would be worth trying at least once.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I normally make a batch of coleslaw and then use the rest for sauerkraut. I've never been a huge fan of frozen cabbage in any form, it tends to be limp and lifeless when thawed... might be okay in a stew, but won't make crunchy coleslaw.

·
Milk Maid
2,873 Posts
I've made the freezer coleslaw before. It was still crunchy (probably had to do with the vinegar.) My kids and I liked it quite well. I would rather do that than try freeze the cabbage and then take out to make coleslaw, which would probably result in limp cabbage.

ETA: I use the recipe in the Ball Blue Book.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies..we have just been eating a lot of coleslaw lately...lol I have enough left for dinner tomorrow and then it will be gone. I probably wouldn't like it anyways if I froze it and then try to make slaw. I am real picky about cabbage, it has to smell just right or I wont eat it.

Next time I buy a bag of it I think I will try the freezer coleslaw.

·
Premium Member
10,372 Posts
Do you like sauerkraut. If you get a lot of cabbage cheap it works good. I wouldn't buy packaged cabbage to freeze. Cabbage is also good in soups....James

1 - 6 of 6 Posts