Freezing Flour Prior to Longterm Storage

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by HeadnHome, Sep 20, 2005.

1. HeadnHome

HeadnHome Member

What has been your experience with freezing flour as a percaution against little beasties? The recommendations I've read to kill any insects or eggs prior to long-term storage is to freeze the flour for 2 days or so.

How do you deal with any moisture that may freeze out as a result?

Is the amount of moisture present from relative humidity low enough to not worry about or should there be an extra step prior to storage after removing the bags from the freezer -- obvisouly, you'd want to let the flour warm to room temperature before popping it into a moisture proof bag. Anything else?

2. chickmomma57

chickmomma57 Well-Known Member

We have always freezed our flour and have never had a problem. Of course, you let it get to room temperature before using it. Other than that we've never had a moisture problem. We live up north, so I don't know if it makes a difference down in the more humid south.

3. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

I'm assuming that your wanting to freeze the flour and then store at room temps in some type of container. I am surprised that only 2 days was the reccomendation I owuld have expected alot longer. In any case we vacuum seal flour....after putting it in a separate bread/food bag to keep the machine from sucking up too much flour....never had a problem with weevils or other critters....no oxygen no survival.

4. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

For most stored product pests, you must freeze the product for 4 days minimum at 0 degrees F. The product must be completely cold throughout before the time starts. This will kill most pests of stored products, but will not stop reinfestation. The product must be contained in a bug proof container. Refridgeration will slow the bugs a lot, until the product warms up again.

It doesn't take long for these bugs to have a population explosion. Often, the bug problem returns becuase there are breeding opportunities overlooked in sanitation. For example, a small amount of debris in a crack under the edge of the baseboard could support a small population until more food became available. This is where you will often find breeding insects in the bulk food area of the stores.