Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was " the year of the cucumber". We've done all the pickles I'll ever need. Of every type. I really love cucumber dressings. Has anyone ever simply chopped cucumbers and froze them for use in cucumber dressings? How do they turn out? Thinking of trying this. Mmm cucumber dressings in middle of winter. Or even cucumber water is yummy.

·
Premium Member
2,585 Posts
I have never frozen cucumbers, but I do dry them. Since we like Tzatziki sauce & cucumber sandwiches, these are what I use them for. I peel the cucumbers, slice in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds & pulp. Then I cut into slices (a little less than 1/4 inch thick, if you get much thinner than this they they are hard to get off the screen), and pour a little lemon juice over them in a bowl and stir well to coat. Then put in the dehydrator for about 1 to 1 1/2 days (with my high humidity in the south it sometimes takes longer to dry things). I then put them in glass jars.

The nice thing, especially for the Tzatziki sauce is that you don't have to drain either the cucumbers or the yogurt to make the sauce as the cucumbers are dried and will soak up the extra water in the yogurt.

Dawn

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have never frozen cucumbers, but I do dry them. Since we like Tzatziki sauce & cucumber sandwiches, these are what I use them for. I peel the cucumbers, slice in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds & pulp. Then I cut into slices (a little less than 1/4 inch thick, if you get much thinner than this they they are hard to get off the screen), and pour a little lemon juice over them in a bowl and stir well to coat. Then put in the dehydrator for about 1 to 1 1/2 days (with my high humidity in the south it sometimes takes longer to dry things). I then put them in glass jars.

The nice thing, especially for the Tzatziki sauce is that you don't have to drain either the cucumbers or the yogurt to make the sauce as the cucumbers are dried and will soak up the extra water in the yogurt.

Dawn

Oh thank you halfpint. What a great idea. I'll dry a bunch. Now for the tzatziki sauce recipe? Lol

1 - 3 of 3 Posts