freezing corn

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by mvfarms91, Aug 10, 2004.

1. mvfarms91

mvfarms91 Well-Known Member

I will be freezing my corn this year and was wondering how you all do it. I usually clean and boil for 2 mins. then let cool and stick in bags and freeze or I cut kernels off and bag up and freeze, I was reading an old cook book today and saw where they freeze corn husk and all and said it will last 12 months. Has anyone tried this and does it work. I thought you had to heat to stop the sugar from dissipating?

Thanks,
    Susie

2. ohio_kid

ohio_kid Well-Known Member

We freeze our on the ear. Never tried it with the husk on. We husk it, clean it, boil it for two or three minutes and stuff it into freezer bags. Corn on the cob for Christmas dinner. Can't beat it.

3. Ed in S. AL

Ed in S. AL Well-Known Member

We froze our last batch with the husk on to try it out also. It worked very well. We cut the end of the cob off, and then stuck it in the bag. The corn ears clean up very nicely when they are frozen like this. Didn't lose any of its' flavor like our blanched then frozen corn. Was excellent. Had a batch of it tonight.

4. mvfarms91

mvfarms91 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies. I think I will try it with the hush on. Do you try to wash it anyway or just toss in the bag?

Susie

5. Ed in S. AL

Ed in S. AL Well-Known Member

We just pulled of all but the last 2 layers of husk, and as many tassles as we could get, then chopped of the ends, and into the bag.

6. BrushBuster

BrushBuster Well-Known Member

i think my mother sometimes used to freeze hers in milk on the cob, husked and raw.
    anybody else?

7. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

When we have room in the freezer, we freeze them in the husk. Remove as much of the silks as possible, cut the top tip off and rewrap the husks, folding the top over where you cut the ip. Put in bags, tops down (to keep the husk over the cut tip)