Freezing corn on the cob

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Quiver0f10, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Quiver0f10

Quiver0f10 Well-Known Member

What is the best way to do this? We are pulling lots of corn from the garden so we hope to just freeze. Can I peel and toss into zip lock baggies? Or should I leave the peels on?

2. ChickenHound

ChickenHound Well-Known Member

I husk the corn, blanche it, then put the ears into freezer bags for storage. Get as much air out of the bag as possible; freezer-burn on corn is nasty!

3. Marilyn in CO

Marilyn in CO Well-Known Member

I have put up corn all ways imaginable. The most tasty IMHO is to blanch it and immediately put in ice cold water. When it has cooled enough to work with it, either put whole ears in freezer bags or cut the corn off and bag it. It is very important to get all the air out of the bags.

4. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

I just had some the other day. Yummm. Try a variety of types. Some take to freezing better than others.

5. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

right now i have about a 100 ears in a freezer. i just pulled it off the stalk and stacked it in the freezer with nothing but shucks attatched done this for years and never had a problem

6. Leay

Leay Well-Known Member

I do the same as Dripping Springs. I leave the husks on but I put as many as I can in the big freezer bags. Just microwave (for 4 ears) 5 minutes, turn and microwave 5 more, shuck and it tastes just like fresh-picked corn.
    Happy freezing!
    Leay

7. edcopp

edcopp Well-Known Member

If there are any worms in your corn they will come out dead. This makes them easy to remove because they do not move any more. :sing:

8. True2Spirit

True2Spirit Well-Known Member

Another way is cut it off the cob, quick fry it (3-5 min) in butter/margerine, cool and freeze. Ten times better than frozen store bought.

9. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

Lots of different ways as you can see. Everyone has their favorite. If I'm in a hurry, just remove any bugs and toss in a plastic bag as is---husk and all. It's great for soaking in salt water and cooking on the grill in the husk. Or remove husk, blanch and freeze, or cut off cob if you are in bad shape for room in your freezer. Or I've dried corn too, store in a jar. Corn is great!