Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to make biscuits and freeze them so they turn out like the ones you buy at the grocery store and then take out what you need and let them rise then cook them. Regular or sourdough will work for me. Anyone know how? Thanks in advance, firegirl969

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I want to learn to make cinnamon and raisan bread. I make whole wheat bread and sourdough bread now. Anyone have a good recipe to share? Thanks in advance, firegirl969

·
Registered
905 Posts
Biscuits for the freezer Prep: 25 min. + freezing Bake: 15 min.

2 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
3 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening
1 egg
2/3 cup 2% milk

GARLIC VARIATION:
1/2 cup shredded cheese, divided
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dried minced onion

SESAME HERB VARIATION:
1/2 teaspoon each dried marjoram, thyme and basil
1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds

Directions:
In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, whisk egg and milk; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. For garlic biscuits, add 1/3 cup cheese, garlic powder and onion to one portion of dough. Knead 20 times. Roll to 3/4-in. thickness; cut with a floured 3-in. biscuit cutter. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
For sesame herb biscuits, add marjoram, thyme and basil to remaining dough. Repeat kneading, rolling and cutting steps. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Arrange biscuits in a single layer in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. pan. Cover and freeze overnight or until frozen. Transfer to a freezer bag and freeze for up to 2 months.
To use frozen biscuits: Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Makes 8 biscuits.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I want to learn to make cinnamon and raisan bread. I make whole wheat bread and sourdough bread now. Anyone have a good recipe to share? Thanks in advance, firegirl969
You like this recipe

Cinnamon Swirlie Raisin Bread
1-1/2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
1 cup mashed potatoes (without added milk and butter)
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons salt
2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
6-1/2 to 7 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 cups raisins
FILLING:
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons butter, melted

Directions on how to prepared this bread...
In a large bowl, combine the milk, potatoes, butter, sugar and salt. In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add potato mixture and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Fold in raisins. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each portion into a 16-in. x 8-in. rectangle. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over rectangles to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side; pinch seam to seal and tuck ends under.

Place seam side down in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans.
Cover and let rise for 30 minutes or until doubled. Brush with butter.
Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown.
Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
This recipe makes 2 loaves.

Love this recipe for breakfast

1 - 4 of 4 Posts