Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plugged my freezer in and left it plugged in overnight but it's not starting. It worked fine last winter when I cleaned it out. It's been stored for a couple of years before with no problems starting.

There's a compressor tank looking thing. I felt it and it was hot so I unplugged it. I've tried tapping it with my hand and rocking the freezer back and forth a little roughly.

Any suggestions?

I just had my chickens processed and I need a running freezer by Monday if at all possible.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,532 Posts
Sounds like the start capacitor might have died. Unfortunately, if that's the case, there is a good chance the compressor either got wiped out when it failed, or was dying and popped the cap.
It looks like a drycell battery, aluminum. Unplug before touching anything. Generally not a homeowner repair because if the comp is bad, the Freon needs to be reclaimed.

Matt

·
Premium Member
15,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I may have gotten it running again. I just put the moves on it and did a little shake rattle and roll and now it sounds like it's running again.

I've got some water in it to see if it will freeze it.

The basement gets a wet sometimes although last summer was pretty dry because I put the gutters up again. It might cause a little corrosion and maybe that's why it didn't start right up.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Blow it out good... also if you hear the compressor running, but it aint cold.. chances are you have a refrigerant leak..

·
Premium Member
15,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The water is frozen so we're good to go.

Thanks for the ideas.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts