Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've just been wondering if anyones eliminated their dependency on using a refrigerator and freezer to preserve food?.. using canning, curing, pickling, smoking, dehydrating, or other techniques to preserve meats as well as fruits/vegetables?

ive been trying to get more into preserving foods without freezing or refrigeration because for the next few years when i am traveling around the country i do not want to have to rely on needing a power source just to power a fridge or freezer.. my goal is to eliminate or even greatly reduce my need for electricity by preserving food by other means and learn more ways of preparing food on open fires

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
justin, I guess most folks here use one! You might try posting this question under "homesteading questions" forum, I know there are people who don't use one.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
The only ways I know to keep things cold without a fridge are one, use a cave if you are lucky enough to have one. Or two, build a rock building over and enclosing part of a creek or spring. My great great granny did this. She left containers like buckets or cans sealed and floating in the icy cold water. She tied ropes around the handles and onto rocks so they wouldn't float away.
Supposedly it worked for milk and butter quite well. I've never done it, mind you, except with a jug of lemonade when clearing brush by a creek. The lemonade was sure cold tho.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'm working on drying more and canning more this year than in the past, in order to not depend so much on the freezer. I'm already a big fan of dehydrating - just doing more of it this season. AND hoping to create a improvised root cellar - as we have no garage, no basement, and no CAVE. Phooey. ;-)

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Idk anyone who has a cave lol. A root cellar would be wonderful to have. Great Great granny had one of those as well. She still couldn't keep milk in it, but evidently she did somehow manage to keep cheese, potatoes, and apples, plus canned things, in it for much longer than I would have thought possible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts