freezer in unheated shed?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by DW, Oct 21, 2005.

1. DW

DW plains of Colorado Supporter

I know this has been discussed before...thinking of putting a small chest freezer in an unheated shed. Is this bad for the freezer?

2. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Nope, as long as the freezer is not a "frost free" type. In which case, it will keep trying to defrost and pretty much burn itself out.

3. Deb&Al

Deb&Al Well-Known Member

we keep our chest freezer in the bank barn in one of the bottom bays. we've never had any problem.
    i think your shed will work. just make sure there is no danger of water, from rain or snow melting, that would puddle underneath the freezer.
    debbie

4. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

we had been told tha freezing a freezer was bad for it. have had chest freezers running in an un heated shed for 10 years now,never a problem though all our freezers are checked every second day(have to eat!!)

5. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

My dad keeps his in the garage unheated....but the frost free fridge gets unplugged for winter....

6. Simpler1773

Simpler1773 Well-Known Member

I was told there is no such thing as a frost free chest freezer. Not sure if that's true or not, just thought I'd throw that in there. :)

Ricki

7. Torch

Torch Well-Known Member

In the piney woods of the great state of Texas.
    I have one in the tack room in the barn. No problems at all. Of course melting would be more of an issue than freezing would be in these parts. :)

8. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

We keep one in the barn for bread which we buy in bulk for the animals. It has been there for a couple years, through cold winters and hot summers, and it is still working fine. I even have a freezer I keep outside on the porch with no problems.

9. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

My mom has had a freezer on her unheated carport for 35+ years with no problems. She also has one in her unheated utility room with no problems.