Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After much anxiety over timing, we scheduled one of our gilts for freezer camp on dec 4th. She is about 195 (by string measure). She is AGH/Berk cross. I am now giving her lots of fruit (guava, persimmon, tangerines, ) plus pumpkins. This will be our first home raised pig - Hoping for good tasting pork from this diet!!

·
Registered
904 Posts
njenner, remind me how old she is at this weight?
Our AGH/Berks are just under 4 months. I haven't tried the string method on them, as I'm not t sure how reliable it is on younger pigs. We're feeding lots of pumpkins too.

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
she's been on a mixed forage pasture (clover, alfalfa, grasses) plus free choice alfalfa hay, butternut squash in summer, green beans, some oranges and tangerines and now persimmons, pumpkins (3 BIG pumpkins a day) beet tops, turnip tops. All the veges came from our garden but we did buy a truck load of pumpkins for $30.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I'm anxious to see if the butcher comments on her tremendous scurvy free status....hehe....:D

I bet you'll love what you get back! I'm hitting my barrow hard that I just got back....and I sadly had a gilt get hurt when both my boar and sow mounted her during her heat. It worked out to where I took her also to the butcher with my barrow and had her done up in all pork sausage and burger...yummy!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts