Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the right place but it's worth a try. I can't seem to find any organic bulk freezer beef in my area(Connecticut). Any one here willing to ship a 1/2 or whole ?
Thanks

·
Registered
140 Posts
bmarvin said:
Not sure if this is the right place but it's worth a try. I can't seem to find any organic bulk freezer beef in my area(Connecticut). Any one here willing to ship a 1/2 or whole ?
Thanks
Hi, too bad you are not in CO, as we have a few left about ready to butcher :)
http://www.freewebs.com/edmundsonranchgrassfedbeef/

but for Connecticut, try here:

http://www.eatwild.com/products/connecticut.html

if you haven't already seen it; great website, maybe somebody near you.

good luck! Nothing like wholesome fresh beef :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the link. Connecticut is pretty small so I can be anywhere in 1 1/2 hours. I think a few hours of time is a small price to pay for farm fresh.

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
What is your definition of organic? Do you have the capability to purchase a yearling, feed it out for about two months and then take it to a processor?

I suspect not many cattle producers use growth hormones in the ears on calves. Simply too much trouble to catch the calf and get it into the ear.

If they have been medicated likely it is a dewormer, perhaps a pinkeye vaccine, perhaps a blackleg vaccine and probably a multi-way vaccine. All are, essentially, harmless to humans and give in small doses to begin with.

A bottle calf may received medicated milk replacer.

Thus, are you perhaps asking for farm raised, rather than organic?

If so, start asking around, such as farm feed stores, agricultural supply outlets, your county ag agent and the vet clinic. Chances are you may be a referral to someone known for selling freezer beef.

·
Retired Coastie
5,182 Posts
I have a 750 pound Jersey steer ready for slaughter. Goat milk raised, then calf starter, hay and grasses. I only raise four to six per year, no chemicals, .80 cents per pound live weight, $1.60 per pound hanging weight. Roughly $2.20 per pound into your freezer. Come up with a plan, I'm flexible...John

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
topside1 said:
I have a 750 pound Jersey steer ready for slaughter. Goat milk raised, then calf starter, hay and grasses. I only raise four to six per year, no chemicals, .80 cents per pound live weight, $1.60 per pound hanging weight. Roughly $2.20 per pound into your freezer. Come up with a plan, I'm flexible...John
That's quite reasonable. Butcher shops around here are charging 1.95 per lb hanging and it's really not very good beef.

Yours is a bargain.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
topside1 said:
Wow, that is a fantastic price. One of the Connecticut farms on the eat wild site wants $6.50/pound hanging weight.

·
Registered
732 Posts
topside1 said:

Tell me when and where I can pick it up! :help:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.