Freeze What Do You Think?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by big rockpile, Apr 23, 2005.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Got Potatoes,Beets, Carrots,Lettuce,Onions,Cabbage,and Radishes up.Strawberries blooming.

Its suppose to get down to 28 degrees tonight.But the wind is suppose to keep up.And I'm on top of a ridge.

There is no way I can cover up all this stuff.Do you think I'm going to lose it,think it might get bit but come out of it,or it will be ok? Any ideas?

big rockpile

2. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, we aren't worrying...same forcast,same plants up but like you we live on a high hill and the wind is still blowing and supposed to all night. We often see frost all around us in the valleys but we don't get any. Turn the heater up in the greenhouse and threw some remay over the tomato plants in there just in case. Could be worse...MIL says it is snowing up in Michigan....eeeek! DEE

3. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

All of our squash, melons and cucumbers are up and growing. The tomatoes are knee high and blooming and the peppers look great. We're supposed to get down to 34 tonight. We've spent all afternoon covering as many as we could.

4. Kygardengal

Kygardengal Well-Known Member

Even though I am high on the hill, I covered up with a thick layer of straw today.
    I've got broccoli, caulifower, cabbage, potatoes, onions and strawberries. It may be for nothing but I can't take the chance. I don't know how my blueberries will fare out as they are in bloom. Guess I'll find out in the morning.
    Good Luck to all of us in this late cold blast...Down to 32 here in Ky

5. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

DH up at 4 AM and temp only 40 here in so.central MO...so not to worry. Things look fine this am and sun is shinning brightly. No wind for the first time in a week. DEE

6. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Dee Where my wife was there was a heavy Frost,we didn't get it here.Really the wind helps,I was hopeing it would keep blowing.

I'm really thinking all my stuff came through ok.Thanks Lord!

big rockpile