Freeze tonight..what to do??

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Chinclub, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Chinclub

Chinclub Well-Known Member

My babies are right at 13 days old. Mom is in a hutch cage with a wire front and a solid room hutch on the back. Up until now the babies stayed burrowed in the nest but now they are running all around inside the little hutch. Tonight it will get 31 outside. It has been in the low 50s. I have never desturbed the nest and I don't know what to do. If the babies were still burrowed down I wouldn't worry but the nest has been trampled flat. Will the babies all pile up and stay warm or should I bring them inside. Will Mom take them back in the morning if I bring them in?

2. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

The doe generally doesn't pick up kits. Her teeth would hurt the kits. There are a few people who have seen it happen but it's a rare occurance. I've never seen it and had thousands of rabbits. It sure would make this easier if they did, wouldn't it?

The kits should be able to find their way back to the nesting box. They'll keep each other warm in there.

It's alright to disturb the nest. You should. It's important to know that all of the kits in a new litter are alive and well. If there are dead kits you need to know so that they can be pulled from the nest and disposed of. As long as the doe is sound she isn't going to mind. A doe might get protective so watch out for those. Rabbit bites hurt like heck. A doe shouldn't abandon her nest because you've touched her kits. The urge to nurse when she's full of milk should take her back to the nest.

I didn't see this until this morning. How did they do during the night?

3. Chinclub

Chinclub Well-Known Member

They did just fine. Mom went in the little room with them and I think she blocked all of the wind. And they had remade the nest and all hunkered down in it. I guess they are old enough now to know how to dig down in the shavings and hay to get warm.

Where is spring anyway!! Last week it was in the 60s and today we are at 32! :(