Freeze proof chicken waterer

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Beeman, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Got tired of unfreezing the chicken water so I finally fixed it. Took a porcelin light fixture and a 40w applaince bulb. Mounted the fixture on a 12" square of plywood and attached a 6" section of 8" stovepipe to the plywood. Wired the fixture to a plug in cord run thru a piece of PVC to protect it. Plugged it into a Thermocube and no more frozen water. It barely gets warm to the touch but warm enough to stop freezing.

2. o&itw

o&itw aka avdpas77 Supporter

I do the same, except I set a flue block over the bulb, with a 16' square patio block on top of that.

3. Natural Beauty Farm

Natural Beauty Farm Flying Farm Nubians

I think I'm too visual. I need pictures, but it sounds cool.
    Thermocube- just checked it out, nice invention, wish I had thought of it. But if its outside the "warm" zone, won't it just stay on all winter?

4. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Warm Zone?, there's no heat in the chicken house but I have electric to it. Thermocube comes on at 35*, usually it's above that during the day. It's also only a 40w lightbulb.

5. Common Tator

Common Tator Uber Tuber

Me too!

6. freedom-rider

freedom-rider Member

We have a 3 inch PVC pipe cut to about 20 inches long that is capped on both ends. We drilled large holes (3-4 of them) along one side that the chickens eat/drink out of.

This is our first winter with chicks and we got a submersible aquarium water heater that we plugged in (we have electric in the shed/coop) to keep the water from freezing.

We duct taped all but one of the openings for the water so that they can't accidentally break the glass on the water heater since the heater is placed in the pipe where they can't get to it. Hope this makes sense...I'm a visual guy too...often tough to put this sort of description into words.

Works GREAT!!!

7. o&itw

o&itw aka avdpas77 Supporter

Thermocubes come in 3 different "turn on" temperatures. I use the one for a well house that comes on at 35F... they also make one for diesel heaters that come on at different temperatures.

Oops, now they make 5 different varieties:

http://www.thermocube.com/

I have a couple, one is almost 30 years old and is still working great.

8. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

9. VT Chicklit

VT Chicklit Well-Known Member

I have no electricity out at my hen house. I have sewn an insulated "hat" for my plastic chicken waterers that works well. It is made from fabric and the foil/batting that you can purchase at Joanne Fabrics to make pot holders.

I do not keep water in the hen house because I worry about spillage. The waterer is in the plastic enclosed run that they have access to all day. The run temperature has been down to 8 degrees during the day and the water has not froze yet during the day. I bring them new, warm water and place the insulated hat over the bottle part of the waterer leaving the bowl part exposed. The system works quite well for my few chickens!

10. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

So do you have one of those auto matic pet waterers that you use in your plastic enclosed chicken yard? Then you fill the bottle with warm water which seeps into the dish as used and the pot holder stuff keeps the water warm like a hot water bottle? sisterpine

11. Minelson

Minelson Well-Known Member

12. truckdriverx72

truckdriverx72 Well-Known Member

VT Chick- do you have a picture? Thanks

13. Randy Rooster

Randy Rooster Well-Known Member Supporter

Need pictures please.

14. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's some pics, last one is just a pic of the coop.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  15. sammyd

sammyd Well-Known Member

I used a flue block and a couple of patio blocks. But we also have a 7 gallon plastic waterer which is a lot bigger and prone to melting when a light bulb gets too close.
    I found an adjustable thermostat with a plug in on it at Menards. Had a thermo cube somewhere but it didn't work a lot of the time, never shut off.

16. dennis60

dennis60 Active Member

We picked up a metal heat plate that is about 14" across at Orscheln's for about $30. It plugs into a regular outlet. It has a thermostat that kicks on when it is below freezing so the water is always ready for the chickens....Then put a metal chicken waterer on top of that.

Dennis

17. Backfourty,MI.

Backfourty,MI. Katie Supporter

That is what I use in my duck yard only I think the bigger size. Got it at Menards & works great.
    I have the bigger pail type buckets that plug in just the same & blue from TSC for both goat area's.
    Poor rabbits I have to change there water 2 or 3 times a day, no electric for them.

18. Backfourty,MI.

Backfourty,MI. Katie Supporter

Beeman, my mom uses something similar in her chicken coop only a heat lamp bulb.
    It works for heat, to keep the water from freezing & as her artificial light. She get's egg's all winter & her duck started laying a month before mine did too.

19. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm using a 50 watt heated dog water dish for my geese and ducks this winter.

Here's what I use for my goats. A 40 watt bulb keeps it open to -20 F and a 60 watt to at least -30 F. I'll be a 15 watt would work to 0 F. The 2 gallon bucket sits down into the insulated box with only the rim above the top. I use pipe insulation to seal the hole. The bulb sits in a tin can for protection from water drips.

[​IMG]

20. seagullplayer

seagullplayer Well-Known Member

Google "cookie tin heater".

[​IMG]

Been using move for a month or so. 15 Watt bulb, warm to the touch, not hot. (The lid goes back on)