Freeplants.com

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by blanknoone, Nov 12, 2004.

1. blanknoone

blanknoone Member

This site was mentioned on a thread here. I am curious if anyone has purchased his nursery 'system' and their impressions of it. His website has some good information on propagation, but nothing you couldn't get from a library with a little work. What really strikes me is that he describes it as very profitable, but does not figure in the cost of the time spent.

I kind of like the idea, but his website reads like an infomercial. Is this a worthwhile way to spend time to develop another income stream? And if it is, is buying what he has to say worthwhile?

2. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

There were some forumers who really liked his system --- can't quite remember who except they haven't been around in a long time. I know one was making money selling stuff and used (in part) this system.

My reaction, though, has always been similar to yours. I think there's some good ideas in there, but I think there's some good ideas on this forum, too. :D And other forums and other sites. IOW, I don't believe I'd be willing to spend money on it, although I do think there's some good ideas.

3. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

I have spent hours looking through his site. I believe that I've readb every word on every page of his site. It is really basic information. He's bought some initial plants, planted them in the yard, taken cuttings, rooted them in sand with a mist system. Potted them up and kept them in covered rows during the winter to sell in the spring. I do love his site, but I doubt I'll buy his book.

4. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Mike Mcgroaty has a free newsletter that comes in the email that is quite interesting. The price is in my range. lol.
    He must have a very busy street past his house. If we sold 10 plants to every car that passes our house all year we wouldn't make a good dent in the amount he says he sells.

5. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

I have purchased his materials. I was looking for some way to indulge my growing urge,make a little money, yet handle it myself. I am 70 and wore myself out on my small farm (also spent myself out trying to hire help). This is something I can do that will not take all my time and energy.

The videos are amateur, and at first, I thought I was taken. But I watched them a few times and realized they are quite informative. He has some great marketing ideas. I love the forum which one joins after purchasing the videos. I agree that one could get all this info from other books and videos, but I have not seen it put together in such a way that is so friendly to a beginner. He is extremely encouraging, free to share on the forum. If he makes some money from how he has put this together, I say more power to him. I do know that a lot of people are really greatful to him. Several, I don't know how many, are quite successful at growing their own backyard nursery. That is how everyone of the big guys started out. One could stay small, almost hobbyist, or could grow and grow.

I have looked past the video quality and gleaned out the information. I operate on the theory that if it worked for him, I should at least start out doing it his way. I will enlarge or change it as I see fit later. I will have one very small sale this next spring using his ad example. Now that most of the infrastructure is in place, I will be able to start many plants. The first year or two will be buying started cuttings and growing them up to nice little plants. Some of each variety will be planted in my landscape to serve as "mother plants." Since they were bought for the business, I will be landscaping my yard (2 acres) for nothing! I can handle that.

I was less impressed with the book. I found the videos quite helpful, but the forum is more than worth the price. A whole lot of sharing goes on and I've never seen a flame! Everyone is very nice and helpful.

Sandi

6. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Sandi, if I recall, your situation sounds similar to that of the ex-forumer who also used to system. I think he had some disability issues with some kind of arthritis or something, but was making some money following the system --- IF I'm remembering correctly (which I may not be).

For someone like me, it would be a waste of money. For others, however, it might be just the right thing, depending on cost and what their plans are exactly.

7. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

More thoughts: If I were younger and had a bit more property, I would be looking at a number of "profit points". This would be just one of many. I do think diversity is a good thing, but also, that one can become too diversified and not do anything well. With more than one profit point, you would never become bored. I just love Gene Logsdons books. He seems able to blend pleasure with the need to provide for survival. The more you attempt, the more organized you need to be. I have addressed that on another thread.

On my farm, I did salad greens, some other produce, and eggs, and sold at the Farmer's Market. I wanted to get way more into flowers. I had one 30x72' hoophouse which is just perfect for western WA. Knowing what I know now, I would have fenced in a large area and put in pastured pigs and goats. The chickens were in my dwarf fruit orchard. I've always been interested in plant propagation, and would have done that quite enthusiastically.

The lady (and her dh) who bought the place was doing the same thing with a lot more emphasis on the salad greens. DH has an upholstery business that brings in the outside income. She has lots of family in the area and when something big needs doing, they have a huge family get together and the job gets done. I was alone and had to hire everything I couldn't handle. I am so glad she is the one who got the farm.

So you can understand why I like this backyard nursery idea. It fits where I am at this time. Maybe someday I'll win a huge Powerball and buy a huge cattle ranch in the west, or 2-300 acres in the Shenandoah Valley, or something. While you wait for my report on that project, try to keep productive!

Sandi