FreeCycle score again

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Mr. Green Jeans, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Mr. Green Jeans

Mr. Green Jeans Well-Known Member

One beautiful vertical grand piano. My daughter has been begging me to buy her a piano, now she has one for free.

:banana02: :banana02: :banana02:

2. Dixielee

Dixielee Well-Known Member

I love freecycle! Nice job on your find! Someone offered a running car on ours this week. I did not dare tell my husband....he loves old cars, especially free ones! LOL.

I got 2 bags of free clothes this week, wore my "new" pants and shirt today.

I gave away a sofa and shelf unit a few weeks ago. The woman who called worked at a battered womans shelter, so I was really happy they were getting it.

3. Caelma

Caelma Well-Known Member

I've been able to get some neat stuff through freecycle
    and have given away many things.
    Whoever thought it up is so cool.
    I've given out a tent, treadmill, reptile cage and much more.
    I too have gotten a piano and a beautiful white neutered cat.
    And the books people give away, I have so many new cookbooks
    due to freecycle. :dance:

4. MICHAEL B OHIO

MICHAEL B OHIO Well-Known Member

i got a sewing machine, buckeye nuts and sugar maple seeds. tommarow I pickup outdoor table and chairs, bench swing, fire ring, grill and 24 inch interior door.
    I gave awy enough to fill three astro vans so far.
    I have a storage room I pay 65.00 for 1.5 years and am about to liquidate those items. Mike
    I also got a deep freezer 15.1 cu ft

5. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

:rolleyes: one of the latest freecycle emails I got...

6. Spotted Crow

Spotted Crow Well-Known Member

Some greedy gus on ours gave away a bag of baby things and promptly turned around and posted wanting a laptop computer...DH deleted it!
    the most expensive thing I ever got was a radio flyer wagon to move things around the yard in...I've given away my son's outgrown clothes, toys and books.

7. TnMtngirl

TnMtngirl Well-Known Member Supporter

You gotta love Freecycle !! I have given more than recieved,but thats the point!!At Christmas a guy gave me a 10lb box of old cards for crafts.Have given away building materials,clothes,toys,old bottles,extra vegetables in summer.
    We never throw away anything someone could use.There is always a freecycler out there that will take it.

8. A'sta at Hofstead

A'sta at Hofstead Turkey Wrangler

I got a pair of kittens for the farm, I offered 3 bantam roos and no one bit.
    I am looking forward to getting bags of outgrown clothes from the kids and offering them too.

9. Spotted Crow

Spotted Crow Well-Known Member

One of my local freecycles doesn't do pets, but the other one does...I got 5 whole pounds of macintosh apples in the fall. I was in apple heaven...

10. Trixie

Trixie Well-Known Member

I am on a couple of freecycle sites, but only called about one thing and just haven't had time to really get into it.

When you offer something - then people call or email - right?

Do the people then come to your house? Or you go to theirs if you are the taker? If so, have you ever felt uncomfortable about this?

Also, are there freebies that are not offered on the site. For example, if you pick up something from someone - do then then email just you to offer it - or is it always offered on the site.

11. sweetcountrygrl

sweetcountrygrl Well-Known Member

Yeah, I got that one too. Unbelieveable. :cool:

12. Macybaby

Macybaby I love South Dakota Supporter

You are so lucky! I've been hoping to find one of those since I moved to SD.

Had not thought of looking (or asking) on freecycle -

Cathy

13. MICHAEL B OHIO

MICHAEL B OHIO Well-Known Member

mine has a piano about 2-3 a month. I don't want one so not for me. Mike

14. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

It depends on where you are and how you post/respond to an item. I'm a mod on ours and we generally let folks work delivery and pick up on their own. Sometimes things are delivered but usually they're p/u. Also, we encourage people to not post their numbers directly on the site. If you must actually talk to someone, give it out in email only and then a cell or work number only. We're a fairly small group so just about everyone knows everyone else but you never know if there's a nut job in the group. I've always had people come to the house but some only offer p/u at their work or will meet in a safe place. If you ever feel uncomfortable about an exchange, don't do it or have a friend go with you...and never go directly home afterwards. Generally the initial response is via email or direct web post. After that, it's dependant on what's being offered.

I've offered and recieved many things through the site. Sometimes you go to pick something up and they'll say "Oh, and I have such and such" ... And I've done that when stuff was being picked up too. The theory behind this is to keep stuff out of the landfills but what it really ends up being is a free swap meet or free thrift store. It's cool...Pretty much everyone wins. Oh, and we're fairly strict on our members so if someone starts spamming or whatever, they're banned immediately. As a result we don't deal with a lot of crap like some groups do.

All of the groups are governed nationally and it's not unheard of for groups to lose their charters. They have rules and they mean them...Have one group not adhere to them and they'll come down like a ton of bricks. Fortunately the rules are very easy and straightforward so it's pretty rare to have them broken.

15. Trixie

Trixie Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. I understood the exchange was between the giver and taker.

We do need to do some cleaning, but I don't know if I want people to actually come to the house. Maybe meet at some sorta public place might be the answer -

16. Timedess

Timedess Guest

We have done that- arranged meeting in a public pace, when offering stuff. If you're posting a "want", you're basically at the "mercy" of whoever responds to you.... though I would still be very careful (I always have my dh go with me!).

17. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

One of the first things I got from Freecycle were Kodak slide projector carousels. After e-mailing back & forth a couple of times we discovered that we worked in buildings next to each other in the city and shared the same parking lot. So, we met during lunch hour. It's a small world.

Check Yahoo groups for a freecycle in your area.

18. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i am still smarting from my free-cycle membership rejection. i heard that some of the local organizers can be a bit...touchy??...about their membership. they can stuff it as far as i am concerned.

19. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

why'd they reject you? if you wish to/can say?

20. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

no real reason that i can think of. in my "bio" or whatever, i wrote "have stuff, need stuff"...or something to that effect. in dialogue with a co-host of the discussion group, i was told they had some problems with people dumping animals ???? i have no clue. she said she would help to push my membership through, but i felt that i would be getting involved in a "cliche" type of group. i did not feel comfortable.

i guess i would like to see an organization controlled less by local power nazi's and have a more generalized membership based on a centrally controlled organization. i just think it speaks poorly of freecycle in general to reject a membership of someone who has never had any interaction with the system beyond the membership request itself.