FreeCycle pays off again.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ed in S. AL, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Ed in S. AL

Ed in S. AL Well-Known Member

Answered 2 ads from this weekend for free rabbits. One is a pet a lady cannot keep, the other was for 3 breeder rabbits a guy didn't have room for. Both called me this morning to come and get them.

2. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

SCORE!!! Way to go....I put in an ad asking for canning jars....I ended up with about 30 cases of various jars and an old canner (which I gave to my best friend) I have given away tons of useful stuff as well. :goodjob:

3. ellebeaux

ellebeaux Well-Known Member

I love Freecycle! My big score was a nice round kitchen table and 4 'captain's' chairs.

I just got back from the dump to drop off my recycling. As I was there, someone was dropping off a bunch of dishes. I nabbed a cake plate with lid, metal painted with totally kitschy strawberries. Not really my style and not something that I would go out and buy but for free, it's perfect! So now I'm going to bake a cake!

Beaux

4. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

I love freecycle too. So far got rid of the kids' yard toys we shouldn't've gotten in the first place (someone moved), got someone to take the budgie we don't want anymore, some garden pots and yard clutter as I move, and I took someone's architect (slanting to your choice angle) table- not gorgeous but FREE instead of $500 or something. The A1 paper rolls (large enough to cover the whole slanted table) was a bit expensive but they should last me a while. If I can't sell my leanto greenhouse they'll be my port of last resort to get rid of it before we move.

5. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

We love freecycle. We were figuring it out the other day that we've probably gotten about $4000 worth of stuff from it, including 3 very nice chain link dog pens, a weight bench, a playhouse for the kids, a dog house, a yogurt maker. It's really awesome. And a great way to get rid of stuff too.

6. Kimon

Kimon Not a Cannibal

Ed you got my rabbits! You must have answered just before me, I tried to get them but you are too fast.

7. BigBoy

BigBoy No attitude here...

I'm sure glad it works the way it is supposed to where all of you are. I watched both groups in my area for a couple of months and 95% of the posts started with "I want", "I need" or "could someone give me" and some would even list their requirements for the item.

8. Mel-

Mel- Well-Known Member

same with my local one. there was always at least one post per week asking for a free laptop!

9. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

Our local freecycle allows only one wanted post per person per week and they can only be made on Saturday. That keeps it way down. We have moderators that do a good job on keeping it all focused, now if they just weren't so cranky.

10. Ranchermom

Ranchermom Sam at the Pecan Ranch

I got three great looking glass oil lamps from there its got to be my best find. I also got tons of egg cartons and even at one time I gave away some extra eggs that I didnt want to ruin cause they were getting old. I got new customers out of that one :)
    Milk bottles I got once too.

I gave away a chair, old propane stove, toys.

Samantha

11. Ed in S. AL

Ed in S. AL Well-Known Member

Well just got home with my new bunny for the girls. They will be excited when they get home. A real pretty albino bunny, with what looks like about a $90 cage. Another good deal.

12. cowboy joe

cowboy joe Hired Hand

Sad to say no critter give aways allowed on the freecycle site in my area. On the up side, I now have a new, aluminum framed 8x12 sunroom with double paned glass panels. It was a sunny 45 degree day last week and the room was upward of 110 degrees. I've since added vents directly into the house to claim some of that free heat for the coming winter.

Happy to say the moderators on the site do a fine job of rooting out & banning abusers. A couple of folks were asking for everything under the sun, then selling it on ebay and in garage sales. Always a couple of bad apples in the bushel.

13. Loriann1971

Loriann1971 Well-Known Member Supporter

I got rid of our washer and dryer through our local freecycle..it was a bit of an ordeal though. The lady made contact with me, saying she wanted them and then I didn't hear from her for a week. I was just about to repost it when she called me saying she really wanted them...then it was another week before I heard from her again...they finally did get picked up though.

14. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

FreeCycle is the way to go in our area too! I've given away a juicer and some cross stitch kits and I've picked up a beautiful houseplant.

I posted an "I want" once, but I was looking for information.
    Wish the "I Wants" were limited to once a week, but our moderator isn't on the stick.

15. 1/4acre

1/4acre Well-Known Member

.. Our local freecycle limits wanted adds to not exceed your total number of offers. I got rid of an old bedroom set that was my M-I-L's and still in great condition, an apartment size electric stove,DGS out grown toys and clothing and lots of other stuff that was just taking up to much room. Can't offer critters but can ask for them. IMO our mods do a great job.

16. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

Nice to see someone getting something out of freecycle. I finally gave up on it. I was watching the 4 neighbor county freecycles and It became and I WANT, GIVEME system. People asking for high end items, campers, cars, trucks. I posted about 20 items over several months. 1/2 the time people failed to show up and pickup items, one even showed up hours late then said that it wasnt good enough to take. It was fully functional item, just had some paint on it.
    Even had people that want the free item and wanted me to deliver it for they 30 miles away.

The idea was nice but without proper moderation and controls it doesnt work.

17. southrngardngal

southrngardngal Well-Known Member

I don't think we have a freecycle in this area. Wish we did. I have rabbits and some roos that I could give away. Also, other items that I wind up throwing away because I don't have room for them.

How do you find out if there is a freecycle in your area? Thanks.

Jan

18. buellkat

buellkat Active Member

www.freecycle.org
    Type in your zip and it will show you any group in or near your area. then you make a request to join. It's easy.

I too have seen many wants and needs in my Freecycle areas. I have seen people ask for car parts, i.e. starters, etc. I love the concept of the website, just wish it worked as excellent as give and take all over. I often wonder how many folks that pick stuff up then turn around and sell it, instead of use it.
    Things that make you go hmm. LOL